Driving 330 miles in my FJ40 - talk me off the cliff (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so I need to be honest with the group here....I've owned my 1981 FJ40 now for over 1.5 years and it has been quite a journey. I'm still new to this platform and falling in love with it everyday - and yet, not so happy about replacing a leaky steering box and lines since acquiring it. I am struggling with the idea that I can drive my FJ40 330 miles to the beach (GA to Destin, FL) with confidence. Much of this is due to the fact, I have only driven my FJ40 on weekends - maybne 50-75miles to a location or active short drives. To date, I have made some significant upgrades/updates including all coolant/water hoses replaced, thermostat replaced, belts replaced, de-smogged (and running much stringer now), full carb rebuilt, fuel lines replaced, full front knuckles rebuilt, front brakes and discs replaced, new plugs, wires, fuel filter and dist. cap/rotor, all gear oil changes, coolant changed, oil changed, etc. Tires are fairly new and has small oil leak at the transfer case as well as oil pan (the gasket at the rear saddle was installed incorrectly by the PO). Engine is good on compression on all cylinders and runs really strong....on highway I can do 55-60mps with some shaking at the steeringwheel.

I just need some sagely advice and reassurance that this FJ40 will be fine for a 330 mile journey to the coast and 330 miles back. I understand that driving on major highways, its loud and noisy and sometimes a bit shaky at the wheels...and it would be 5.50 hours total trip....with 60% on major highways......the other 40% on b-roads where the FJ40 comes alive with comfortable and relaxed driving,

Do I drive it to the coast on its own....or trailer it behind a large pickup to be "safe". I'm on the fence....but clearly do not want to be stranded on the side of the highway of "Bumb-farts-Ville" with no plan of success. My fear is that what do I do with a dead FJ40 on the side of the road and where do I have it towed to to fix it.

So for you long-term FJ40 guys - am I crazy here? Am I being a bit paranoid with this? I just need some reassurance to someone who has traveled quite abit in their 40 to ease my concerns.

Someone give me some confidence with some of your travel distances as well as some advice as to how to approach a 330 mile journey.

TIA!

IMG_7681(1).jpg

I can most certainly understand your concern & w/o actually seeing your rig, we can’t really give a good answer. With that said…if yours is in good shape and it sure looks like it is, I would not hesitate in the least about taking it on the trip you are talking about.

It’s slow and it’s bouncy…but so what. We have a whole bunch of 40’s that make the trip to Colorado every year…from all over the place.

My 2 cents.👍🎯👍

Last edited:
I’d drive it! Live dangerously! If something happens get a LIFT/UBER to a rental car place that has a SUV with a hitch and then drive to a UHAUL and get a tow dolly with 1 or 2 axles.

Either way you’ll walk away with a story you’ll never forget.

I would drive mine from ATL to Destin, just not on the interstate any more than absolutely necessary and then only a few miles at a time.

My biggest concern are sustained speeds for extended periods that may create compromises and offer a small margin for error and no good place to find assistance or park if they happen.

On a nice easy GA or Alabama Hwy there should be places to get off the highway and then the real adventure begins!

All being said, I plan to trailer mine down from TN in March, the rest of my crew doesn’t have the patience or sense for adventure!

I used to drive over 25k a year and had many weekend trips in the cruiser over 300 miles one way

Actually I still go up to Maine here and there at about 250-260 miles one way

It will get you were u want to go… just give yourself extra time … tak on 10 min per hour of driving

Keep the usual break down spare parts “just in case”

If I haven’t driven a long distance in a while, the first hour of a long drive takes is a bit of settling in. After that, it’s enjoyable and I stop being concerned about breaking down.

You will have people hanging out their windows taking pictures of your truck and giving you thumbs up.

Just plan for taking a few extra breaks along the way.

Why a 40? Are you wheeling it at your destination? Is it harder to get help with a breakdown out in the boonies wheeling than it is on the side of a road that’s on a map?

If you can do 75 miles without issue you can do 300. Plan on an extra hour or two over what you expect because you'll likely be driving slower than expected but you should be able to maintain 60-65. When I was DD my FJ40 I did one 500 mile single day trip and multiple 200-300 single day runs.

It really all depends on whether you want to drive an FJ40 300 miles or if you just want to get to the beach. The 330 mile drive IS the adventure. The beach is just the place to turn around and drive it again.

Bring a soft cervical collar to wear when the drive gets bouncy at speed; we are all bobbleheads driving the 40.

You already prepped! Sounds like you baselined it well. Check all fluid levels before you go (rear, t case trans etc) throw a lube on rear drive shaft and enjoy the ride. I used to drive my s box 40 up and back to rubicon and beat it up on the trail 6-800 miles round trip and it never let me down. Good preventive maintenance and a basic tool set and have fun! My2cents

Maybe try to line up some cruiser people along the route in case you have trouble; 40 and 60 series people.

Otherwise just drive it! Try driving it as much as you can between now and the trip if you’re concerned? Have a radio? Maybe a little Bluetooth speaker on the dash would help if no radio?

I used to drive my 1965 FJ40 300miles to college and back all the time. It was in WAAAY worse shape than yours and it never left me stranded. Deaf and beat up for sure, but it got me there. hahaha.
Not much stops these things from getting you where you need to go. You got this. Enjoy the cruise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom