Driveway find restoration. ‘74 FJ40 with 383 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,

I new to FJs and maybe an impulse purchase over memorial weekend. 😁😬. It’s a restoration project and was “loved” at some point years ago then sat in a driveway for 2+yrs. I bought it from the previous owner’s brother that didn’t know much about it. He said it has a Chevy V8 383 which makes 350hp (seems off) with a 3 speed manual transmission. It starts and drives but needs love and definitely new tires due to dry rot.

Looking under the hood I had tell it has a Holley fuel pump, accel ignition, Edelbrock carburetor 1406, Holley Street Dominator Intake, K&N air filter.

Its tire are 35s and no power steering.

1) I need/want to flush all the fluids. Any arguments against VR1 10W-30 and a wix 51060? Coolant flush and replace with what? Transmission fluid recommended?

2) I’m fairly certain it has a 2in lift. Any arguments against going to 33s.

This is just the start....

CBCD58AF-A9B3-4377-A1B3-058F9C10CD24.jpeg

The battery is currently under the driver seat. The purchase came with a bracket to re-install under the hood. This impulse buy also doesn’t have a key so I’m currently starting it with a flathead via the ignition switch and looking for the correct ignition barrel (with a key). I’m finding lots of OEM/aftermarket for locking steering (which I don’t have.) Not sure if I could use a locking ignition barrel in a FJ without the feature. Coolcruisers.com has it for $165 w/o locking but the lock barrels are all over the place as low as about $45 with shipping.

AC1CCDE8-9F18-44D6-8BF8-E8CC220DB3D6.jpeg

B254A33D-B02F-4407-92EB-5EE8C635B33E.jpeg

8612D121-18CE-44F1-8B29-81B1A7CA8CD1.png

131253BB-FB8E-45A3-AEF5-2953FF76A4C8.jpeg

27FA48BC-DDE0-4931-92FD-7CD03A26B6F2.jpeg

Your Toyota dealer parts department can often cut you a key from the vin number (assuming it’s the original column). If you got hard doors, the cylinder inside the passenger door should also have your key code.

The Bezel Police will be arriving soon.

Good looking rig, have fun with it!

I am a purist for myself , but, had a friend with that engine in his FJ40 and it was really good at low torque and also highway speed. Probably one of the best GM engine to have.

In looking at the pictures if it does only have 2" lift springs then the shackles are likely longer than stock. Going down in tire size may improve the look with closer to factory length shackles.

1) I need/want to flush all the fluids. Any arguments against VR1 10W-30 and a wix 51060? Coolant flush and replace with what? Transmission fluid recommended?

I run Rotella T4 15w-40. Can get it for a great price when on sale.

Nothing wrong with VR1. To me, it's just pricey, and always heard it had a shorter lifespan since it's meant to run in racecars where it gets swapped more often. (not sure that's true). It's a well-regarded oil though. But for a SBC any basic HDEO should work great.

I'm pretty sure @ToyotaMatt is your man for all things keys and barrels. Hit him up.

If the guards have already been cut and the 35's fit no dramas I'd keep them and work on making them drive a bit nicer.

33's will be a lot easier to make work though and will keep keep car a bit more stock.

I'm pretty sure @ToyotaMatt is your man for all things keys and barrels. Hit him up.

If the guards have already been cut and the 35's fit no dramas I'd keep them and work on making them drive a bit nicer.

33's will be a lot easier to make work though and will keep keep car a bit more stock.
Thanks! I reached out the ToyotaMatt and he definitely helped. Also, out of curiosity and bc I found a set of 31x10.5Rx15s on Craigslist, is there any reason why I wouldn’t be able to just swap out my old 35x12.5Rx15s for the Craigslist find?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom