Drivetrain opinions much appreciated. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@sschruff if you havn't looked into this thread it sounds similar to your build plans.

Erod motor install

80 Axel upgrade

The erod motor is 550hp to the stock 80 axles. In the build they also upgraded the front to the tundra calipers for helping with the stopping power.

This is a build by Tor and the rig is used for light wheeling. I figure that Tor has a good understanding of the strength needed for everything.

@NookShneer: Bean's build/thread is simply incredible and one of the main threads that serves as fuel for my own 60 project. Bean's build was where I initially came across the e-rod swap and thus eventually led me to the 6.2 option for myself.

How I missed his 80 rear swap. . .I have no idea. Spoke with Dave @ 4Plus about the 80 rear swap. Think that's the way I'm going to go - win/win all the way around.

Going to call Low Range tomorrow regarding the Tundra brake swap & start putting out some feelers for a 80 rear.

Thanks for the feedback/threads. . .

Shane

I've had poor luck in the past with the 4L60E, what is the preferred transmission for these swaps? The 6L80, is awesome, but how common are they?

I've had poor luck in the past with the 4L60E, what is the preferred transmission for these swaps? The 6L80, is awesome, but how common are they?

The 4L60e in my 80 was awesome until I totaled the truck. It had a shift kit though and a custom tune or should I say has since I still have it. I beat the crap out of the trans for over 30k miles and I have seen a pic of the p/o lighting up the rear tires on pavement in the truck so the trans had been abused. You can easily build a 4L60e to way above 400hp. The main issue I see with the 4L60e in these swaps is front drive shaft to trans pan clearance.

6L80e is not as hard to find as you might think. Somebody in my build thread linked this site, www.car-parts.com and I found lot's of 6.2L & 6L80s on there. Haven't bought yet but have made some calls, it is a good site to find motors and trans on.

Also, keep your eye on auctions. I saw a 5.3L at an auction last week that was from a 2012 and had 20k on it, it sold for $1000 and that got you the entire wrecked Chevy pickup wit it.

Cheers

Last edited:
I had the transmission in '07 1/2 ton rebuilt at 120k and it's starting to slip at 200k. I'm probably gonna throw a used one in there this time.
Thanks for the link, I'm gonna do some shopping, lol.

My 2 cents,

Leave the 6.2L alone. Have you ever driven a Cruiser with 400+hp? Trust me, you won't need anymore out of the 6.2L than stock. I have had Cruisers with v8's, 6000+lbs can easily do 65+mph up the steepest passes in N. America with a v8 and the right trans.

Go the 6L80e. 4spds are fun but 6spds are better.

Keep your split case.

Don't replace or upgrade anything until you break stuff. Well, a brake upgrade is not a bad idea.

Cheers

Totally agree with this re leaving the 6.2L as is.... first time I floored it leaving Tor's with the new 5.3 I practically sharted myself.

Totally agree with this re leaving the 6.2L as is.... first time I floored it leaving Tor's with the new 5.3 I practically sharted myself.

That made me snort. I'm shooting for the 6.2 package but haven't ruled the 5.3 out just yet. I have a friend that has a friend that wants to barter services. Working the 'finer' details out over the next few weeks. Basically, think I'll have my choice of engines/xmissions for a set amount - if want I choose is over that amount, I'll pay the difference.

I realize the 5.3 is more than ample and would exceed my expectations regarding performance but the idea of having a 6.2 under the hood is like putting crack in front of a crackhead, hehe.

Spoke with Low Range today about what's needed to do a Tundra brake kit on the 60. . .

Have an active search for an 80 rear axle. . .

Going to call Tor this week to see if he's willing to put a brake package together for me. . .finger's crossed.

All of this while trying to keep my head above the rising tide of Obamacare & moving. . .oh, the madness. . .wouldn't have it any other way!

No. They are available. I think what he means is that the H55 behind Shane's 2F will no longer be needed after he goes to the slush box.

Believe it or not, there's a part of this scenario that absolutely kills me!

And I guess this means my current wheel/tire setup will be hitting the chopping block in the near future. 3rd set's the charm, eh =)

And I guess this means my current wheel/tire setup will be hitting the chopping block in the near future. 3rd set's the charm, eh =)

Why? No reason they won't fit.

I think the tundra brakes require 17" wheels?

It's very possible that since you have spacers to run your current 16" wheels that they will clear... I would try doing a test fit.

From what I've been reading: The 60 series semi-float axels are the same diameter as Dana 60 axles, when you look for ring and pinions on Marlin Crawler, the 60 series uses a 9.5" front and back, the 80 series uses a 9.5" on the back only... That would cause me to think that the 60 series rear is somewhere between a ford 9" and Dana 60. If you tear anything apart from too much horsepower in a FJ60 I think it's gonna be the driveshaft. I kinda thought the driveline is why the 87 fj60 books higher than model years after. I've been planning something along the same lines with my 60 and decided against elockers cause they go down to an 8", but regearing to 4.11s on 33" tires for rpms

4L80E is a 3/4 ton GM truck trans.....only in 3/4 ton trucks (vans, pickups, suburbans) maybe on certain commercial van bodies running the GM 3/4 or 1 ton drivetrain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom