Drivetrain Noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so I have a 2002 LC 253k miles. When I purchased it 2 years ago I could hear a hum coming from what I thought was just the the fact that the vehicle has an all time 4wd system.

I purchased a 98 for my son and noticed that the sound was not there.

Recently my mechanic was was doing some work on the vehicle and he mentioned the noise after a test drive. So he put it on the lift and a fresh leak was coming from the rear carrier pinion seal. His opinion was that the rear pinion bearing was going out which caused both the sound and then eventually the leak.

I found a local rear carrier/diff assembly and he and I installed it last night in 3 hours. Went on a test drive and the leak is gone with the new seal, but the noise is still there.

It is definitely not a whirring from a bad alternator or anything electrical. Not a clunk, or grinding.

Anyone here have a similar issue or ideas on how to figure out where it’s coming from?

Thanks in advance all. Hope you guys are doing well.

Adam

Ujoints?

Abuck99, I’m not getting a clunk when going into drive which, at least in the past, I found to be indicative of a bad u joint...?
Squeaking, clicking, humming/shaking vibrations, and clunking are all symptomatic sounds of a failing u-joint, depending on the failure point and severity.

Squeaking, clicking, humming/shaking vibrations, and clunking are all symptomatic sounds of a failing u-joint, depending on the failure point and severity.
Beat me to it-( good summary)

Would you all take it to a shop
That specializes in driveshafts to make sure it’s balanced as well?

Yes

You can remove the drive shaft and take it to a driveline shop and to balance & true it- they can assess ujoints. @253k I bet they have some wear......

>>Toyota oem ujoints only if you have to replace.

Yes

You can remove the drive shaft and take it to a driveline shop and to balance & true it- they can assess ujoints. @253k I bet they have some wear......

>>Toyota oem ujoints only if you have to replace.
Thank you.

Sound familiar to this thread?

Sound familiar to this thread?

I did see that, but my tires are fairly new Michelins and I don’t think it’s my wheel bearings as I’ve had those go bad before and those sound like grinding...maybe im
Missing something from that post. I did see the mention of the driveshaft as well.

This sound goes away slightly when off the gas.

I was chasing down vibration/noise issues when I got my 99, that turned out to be a combination of a worn slip joint in my rear driveshaft and worn CV axles with play. New motor & trans mounts helped with vibes also.

Another symptom of u-joint...
[/QUOTE
It was confirmed today that in fact the front differential at the local dealership.

So I can do this repair on my own with a friend who has a lift.

The question now is does the Tundra use the same front carrier? Used front carriers are much more expensive on an LC/LX than from Tundra.

What say you? Have a great weekend everyone.

No, the tundra does not use the same front diff as 100 series. They’re not even remotely similar. You have to get LC/LX diff.

No, the tundra does not use the same front diff as 100 series.
That’s what I thought. Thank you.

I know that the 98 and 99 had a different pinion, I am guessing that a front carrier for my 02 would need to be from a 2000, 2001, or 2002 donor ,,,?

That’s what I thought. Thank you.

I know that the 98 and 99 had a different pinion, I am guessing that a front carrier for my 02 would need to be from a 2000, 2001, or 2002 donor ,,,?
Yes, you want a 00-02 diff, which are 4-pinion. The 98-99 are a weaker 2-pinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom