Drivetrain issue at 75mph on I-89 tonight in NH (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tonight, I was traveling up to Vermont to go skiing this weekend with my 7- and 4-year-old girls in the back seat of my 2013 LC (94k miles. No issues besides the standard radiator replacement). Just after I reached the crest of a hill on a remote portion of I-89, I let off the gas to go downhill and I noticed a drastic change in the sound of the engine. Immediately I knew something was wrong and reduced my speed. Being in a fairly remote section of I-89 20 miles south of Vermont on a 0degF night, I exited the highway as soon as possible and found an open gas station to think through next steps. No warning lights were showing on the dash. Given I was already in a fairly remote area, I decided my best bet was to restart the car and try to get to the nearest hotel.

I managed to drive 20 more miles to a Hanover, New Hampshire hotel. All along the way, I felt like the car's condition was getting worse and worse. As I pulled into the hotel, I could start to smell something strange. I rented a car to get me through the weekend and back home to Massachusetts, but I'm not sure what the best next steps are to repair my Landcruiser, which I intend to keep as long as possible. Most likely, I will leave the LC here in New Hampshire to be repaired at a seemingly well-rated Toyota dealer in White River Junction as opposed to rolling the dice at an independent shop.

I am curious what you guys think best next steps are. I just had this car go through Wellesley Toyota's 90k service a couple weeks ago where I assumed the transmission fluid was replaced. They said the car looks great. Before posting, I searched "transmission j200 site:ih8mud.com" on google and did the site search as well. No one else is reporting interesting stories about transmission failures.

Not sure exactly if or how I can help, but I'm in Vermont (in the Burlington area).

Might be worth pulling codes with a code reader.

Also, it may be worth tossing some iso-heat into the tank to deal with water in the fuel kinds of issues. This cold weather brings out some issues.

I wouldn’t expect a transmission failure to produce any new smells. How would you characterize it? Odd oil smell? Smoke or burnt of some kind?

When you say condition was getting worse, what do you mean? Stumbling? Did it idle ok? Did it seem like engine RPMs were increasing but the vehicle wouldn’t accelerate? Kind of like a slipping?

I’d say you need to get it to a trusted shop if your troubleshooting ability is limited. Toyota dealers have their uses but may not be near the vehicle, and at times other small shops can do better work more affordably.

I like the water in fuel idea. Heet is cheap to try.
We need more info on the symptoms.

The smell I noticed when parking the car was a burnt smell versus smoke. As time went on, I would say that the engine going to higher RPMs became a challenge. And when I stepped on the accelerator , that’s when I noticed a weird sound. I had never heard of water in the fuel tank issues. I am inclined to try a bottle of HEET. Any warnings or tips for when I do that ?

I have not tried to read codes. Does an on/off combination of presses on the start button trigger the codes showing ? Or do I have to pop the hood and jumper a couple pins on the diagnostics connector ? I had a hard time finding the obvious answer by searching forum.

I’m biased because I work for Toyota, but I would give White River a shot to pull codes and diag for you. I called on that store for many years 2006-2014 and looking at their website most of the service and parts management is still in place. Pay them the hour of diag and let them point you in the right direction so you can make the best decisions.

I added HEET to see if it was a water in a fuel line issue. TBD on that. I also scheduled a Monday appointment at white river Toyota. Think it’s smart to follow the previous posters advice since my car smarts are limited / nothing and I can easily get a rental car nearby

Here’s a video of me increasing RPMs just now to 2-3000

I have not tried to read codes. Does an on/off combination of presses on the start button trigger the codes showing ? Or do I have to pop the hood and jumper a couple pins on the diagnostics connector ? I had a hard time finding the obvious answer by searching forum.
The easiest way is find a decent Bluetooth OBD adapter and app, and have your phone do the work for you. Carista is one that comes to mind, and the basic version of the app is free.

Thing is without any check engine lights it may not help much.

Heet is a great idea, or as mentioned pay the hour of diagnostic.

I will say usually a failing transmission will slip, causing rpms to rise dramatically without normal resulting acceleration. Struggling to develop rpms is probably more of an engine/fuel/spark issue.

By the way, for folks in other locales, it is cold here. It got to -9 F at my place this AM, probably similar on the other side of this tiny state where the OP is.
B75E6BEE-8B6B-4D25-81FC-514BFF98A7E7.jpeg

The smell I noticed when parking the car was a burnt smell versus smoke. As time went on, I would say that the engine going to higher RPMs became a challenge. And when I stepped on the accelerator , that’s when I noticed a weird sound. I had never heard of water in the fuel tank issues. I am inclined to try a bottle of HEET. Any warnings or tips for when I do that ?
Just pour a bottle or two in the tank.

I wonder if your 90k mile service included a severely underfilled transmission. If the repair shop drains the tranny, have them check the level first.

I added HEET to see if it was a water in a fuel line issue. TBD on that. I also scheduled a Monday appointment at white river Toyota. Think it’s smart to follow the previous posters advice since my car smarts are limited / nothing and I can easily get a rental car nearby

Here’s a video of me increasing RPMs just now to 2-3000

The engine sounds normal to me. Like others, I also suspect a transmission related issue.

Last edited:
Getting a diagnosis at the NH dealer would likely help.

I think an important part of the history is that 90K service you just had done. Look in the write up for something that may have been screwed up and caused the problem. Post the write up here if you want some ideas on that. Cruisers working well at only 94k don’t usually fail on the highway.

What exactly have you noticed?

Did you run something over?

Did your exhaust come apart/leaking from corrosion?

Copy and Paste 90k service record from ToyotaOwners website here.

Bad ignition coil?
Bad ignition coil puts the truck in “limp” mode with 4 lo disabled. The dash would light up. You would also feel a vibration and you wouldn’t like it going more than about 40 mph. Been there done that twice. A Bluetooth or Wi-Fi code reader is gold. Everyone should carry one. I just leave mine plugged in and fire up the phone app as needed. The code would tell you which cylinder is misfiring.

Also, road salt burning on your underbody (exhaust or brakes) can smell awful.

In this part of the country, you're going to have fewer options for code readers at local places. You can probably pick up a cheap reader at an auto parts store, but I'll be a little surprised if they have a bluetooth/wifi one in stock. No matter, they function the same. If there is a chain nearby - autozone, parts american or o'reileys, they might read codes for free, or lend you the reader.

Or just let the dealer handle it...

It is too bloody cold to work on anything outside, even if you had tools and liked to diy.

The code reader plugs into the obd2 port under the trim panel beneath the steering wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom