Driveshafts for 1-HZ/H55 in a 62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Starting to prepare for a 1-HZ/H55 swap into my 89 FJ62 with auto trans. I have found a lot of info on line about the swap but I have not found any mention of how the driveshafts works out. I am assuming that the HZ would sit pretty close to where a 2F would sit in a 60 and therefore the 60 driveshaft lengths would be correct to line up to a H55. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Sean

Howdy! I would think that if you can fab up this driveline, then it should be easy to cutsom fit driveshafts. Not a big deal, as long as you have flanges that will mate up. John

My experience has been that the bellhousings on most trucks don't move, tranny lengths vary. If you had an auto in your truck and you swap in a 5 speed, you'll need the 5 speed shafts or late 60 series shafts (4 speed with spacer) I would put the 5 speed in the factory location and use that as your motor locator, assuming you have no interference problems

Plan on having shafts resized. Make sure flanges are correct, and while you're at it make sure everything else is in good shape (u-joints, DS splines, etc). Drop in the bucket compared to everything else.

Depending on the install you can get away with a rear 60 shaft for asphalt driving but IIRC it is a little too long.

oh, and consider a turbo :D

Thanks guys. Looks like I should wait until all is in, have a chance to grab some 60 driveshafts so thought I might grab them. Many miles of work before I get to that point.

Yes, would love a turbo...promised myself I would get it all in before I touch that idea.

Cheers,

S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom