Driveshaft will not take grease (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was greasing the undercarriage of the 40 today for the first time in XX? years. All of the grease points extruded old grease except for the front and rear driveshafts.

I assume that I should be seeing some old grease come out of the area shown by the yellow arrow? When I put the grease gun on the zerk fitting, the driveshaft appears to lengthen, but no old grease comes out. I tried driving the truck and then reapplying the grease gun to the zerk fittings, but when I reattached the gun, nothing came out. I confirmed that the gun is filled and squirts grease.

I'm wondering if there's old calcified grease that preventing the flow. Suggestions?

frnt driveshaft.jpg

The grease zert for the shaft is not one that you fill to overflow. You ad a couple of pumps and thats it. IF you have overfilled it then you should remove the zert and then drive it and the excess will come out the fill hole. IF you leave it overfilled then the shaft cant compress and you will have problems.

They is a plug in the opposite side in the U joint area. Before you see grease out the splines the plug with pop out. even if you don't pop out the plug it still could with the two halves of the driveshaft compress while driving. Being it been so long I would remove the driveshaft take the two side apart at the slip splines and clean out the old grease and start out with new grease.just be sure to mark the two halves to go back together like they were otherwise possibly be out of balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom