Driveshaft/U joints (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am cleaning up a set of driveshafts and after wire wheeling them I soaked them in a 5 gal bucket of Berryman's Carb and Parts Cleaner. Then I got to thinking that if there are any rubber/neoprene dust or grease seals in there, I'm fawked and need to buy 4 new u joints.
So, my dumbass question is...
Is there anything that I gould have ruined in a u joint with the parts cleaner. I know it will dissolve rubber.

Thanks,

Sofa King

Last edited:
Thanks, I can still see what appears to be a very thin piece of rubber. If I do decide to replace the u joints, how do you get that c clip off? It is wider than any of my c clip pliers will open.

Ed

Thanks, I finally figured that out, but the first one I hit wanted to spin, so I used two screwdrivers of the same length and hit them with a rubber mallet. The rest came out as you described.

Now what, in the absence of the SST? I do have a shop press, guess that is the ticket?

Thanks,

Ed

Chris, so you use a drift and hammer to get enough of the cap out to stick in a vise? I haven't figured out how to use my shop press to do that. Very awkward to hold the shaft and position everything. But I can sure whack on it. I can see where the press will come in handy to replace them, though.

Got baby yet?

Ed

I always use 2 4x4 blocks (easy to carry on trail) and the socket/hammer technique. The trick is that once installed you need to unbind them just a little so that they're not too tight and don't wear out too quick. So basically place the yoke between the blocks and give one tap on the other yoke in order to loosen em, then do it to all other sides.

U-joints are fun. ;)

So you just whack the opposite cap to force one out? I will use a vise to install the new ones. I just don't want to screw up the yokes. They sure make it difficult, which is kinda unlike Toyota, especially on a '40 which was largely repairable in the field.

Thanks, I'll get to whacking.

Ed

Buy Toyota Joints.

Other ones are way too weak..

John Smith said:
Believe it or not I have had an easier time swapping out ujoints in camp using a hammer, two sockets and a rock than I have with a vise in the garage.

That's because your beer is in the garage too! :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom