Driveshaft lengths (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to get a second rear drive shaft for my SOA 60. My current setup is a SOA fj62 with a bj60 drivetrain ( 3b & h42f transmission ) and hi61 full float axles. I have a h55f waiting to be swapped in but have heard the drive shaft will need to be shortened. Instead on that I would rather chop a different shaft and keep the current one for future use.

Question is, what are the stock lengths for a 60 series drive shaft
4speed, 5speed, Auto all that stuff
Or what length I need for the swap

I have a lead on a bunch of different ones but he has so many he can't keep track of which is which and would like dimensions.

Thanks!

IMAG0241.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have a long or short H42?

If it slows down raining today, I'll measure mine for you. 12H-T with a 5 speed. J

The "long" h42 transmission has a spacer on it. It's that black thing you can see at the end of the transmission in the picture below.

image.jpeg

The best way, assuming you are using a driveline shop, is to measure the flange to flange distance. Then let them build the shaft with the appropriate amount of slip and the correct length. They will be used to talking flange to flange distance.

Since you have a custom set up now, and any future set up will also be custom, and no one can tell you what length you need. If you measure the flange to flange distance, you can at least estimate the shaft you want to buy-buy one longer than what you need, if your plan is to cut it down. However I would recommend you completely re-tube your driveshaft, and if doing that, the length you buy doesn't matter, since you can add any length tube you want.

Also remember too, that the flange bolt patterns changed right in the middle of the FJ60 run. Earlier ones I think ar 60mm x 68.5mm and later ones are 66mm x 66mm.

I would concentrate on getting the yoke patterns correct, and then build the shaft to the length you want.

Last edited:

Since you have a custom set up now, and any future set up will also be custom, and no one can tell you what length you need. If you measure the flange to flange distance, you can at least estimate the shaft you want to buy-buy one longer than what you need, if your plan is to cut it down. However I would recommend you completely re-tube your driveshaft, and if doing that, the length you buy doesn't matter, since you can add any length tube you want.

Also remember too, that the flange bolt patterns changed right in the middle of the FJ60 run. Earlier ones I think ar 60mm x 68.5mm and later ones are 66mm x 66mm.

I would concentrate on getting the yoke patterns correct, and then build the shaft to the length you want.

Having a pre 84 drivetrain with later model axles might be an issue then

Thanks for the input, gives me a lot to work with ! :beer:

Bump

Still looking for a list of stock driveshaft lengths... the guy who has all of them is an hour drive away so i cant look for myself easily.
Havent decided whether to completely re-tube of cut down a stock shaft, hense why length matters.

Thanks!

OK, this does not need to be this complicated. Do you have an 81-84 transfer case? If so those years have a smaller flange pattern. If you are keeping this transfer case, get an 85-87 drive shafts and put your current rear slip yoke in the new rear shaft. And swap a smaller yoke on an 85-87 front shaft.

If you are swapping to a later transfer case (larger pattern), then just get 85-87 shafts and run them as is.

Why deal with shortening and lengthening when you just use stock parts that already exist?

OK, this does not need to be this complicated. Do you have an 81-84 transfer case? If so those years have a smaller flange pattern. If you are keeping this transfer case, get an 85-87 drive shafts and put your current rear slip yoke in the new rear shaft. And swap a smaller yoke on an 85-87 front shaft.

If you are swapping to a later transfer case (larger pattern), then just get 85-87 shafts and run them as is.

Why deal with shortening and lengthening when you just use stock parts that already exist?

it doesnt have to be, I just like to be thorough... I have a 81-84 transfer case, I am swapping to a 5 speed which i had heard was longer therefor requiring a shorter shaft. if this guy has a 5 speed shaft then I'm all for it, but I'm not counting on it. he doesnt seem to know which shaft is which and asked that I supply him with a length. so not having a 5speed shaft currently I'm unaware of what length it is...

I would like to be able to slap this all together quickly oncfe I gather the Parts, the rig is my daily and I dont have much for options when it comes to a second car, so waiting for a driveshaft to be made isnt in my best interest.

thanks for the breakdown though, it does help!

I hear you on having all the parts.

Are you swapping transfer cases or not?

Yes, you will need a shorter rear driveshaft and a longer front driveshaft.

Make you life easier. Go by the years, 81-84, 85-87, and 88-90.

Do yourself a favor and get what ever shaft re-tubed. Since you are going to need to change lengths regardless in your CUSTOM set up.

The reason is, stock toyota shafts are amazingly thin walled. Like 0.080. Even 1/8 tube (0.125) is a major upgrade. I always ask the shop to tube with the heaviest tube that will still balance well. I think it's 0.20. They can do 0.25 but don't recommend for a rear shaft because it doesn't balance well.

I know that cobbling together driveshafts from bits and pieces is a time honored Land Cruiser tradition, but to me, it just isn't worth it. If you have the right yoke ends, for $100 you have a perfect custom length shaft with upgraded material.

I hear you on having all the parts.

Are you swapping transfer cases or not?

Yes, you will need a shorter rear driveshaft and a longer front driveshaft.

Make you life easier. Go by the years, 81-84, 85-87, and 88-90.

the h55f has a transfer case attached to it, but i was thinking of swapping my current one onto it if possible because I know its a good case...

Do yourself a favor and get what ever shaft re-tubed. Since you are going to need to change lengths regardless in your CUSTOM set up.

The reason is, stock toyota shafts are amazingly thin walled. Like 0.080. Even 1/8 tube (0.125) is a major upgrade. I always ask the shop to tube with the heaviest tube that will still balance well. I think it's 0.20. They can do 0.25 but don't recommend for a rear shaft because it doesn't balance well.

I know that cobbling together driveshafts from bits and pieces is a time honored Land Cruiser tradition, but to me, it just isn't worth it. If you have the right yoke ends, for $100 you have a perfect custom length shaft with upgraded material.

ok so essentially figure out the yoke ends I need and get a shaft with them, then have a new shaft made...

Thanks for the help guys

if i have any more questions or discoveries I will post up here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom