Driveshaft lenght (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have the SBC with TH350 and Toyota Transfercase and it looks like my rear driveshaft will need to be 17" long. Does this seem too short?

well that depends on where you mounted the motor and where the rear diff is mounted. meaning that there is no answer

Send me a PM. I am in Redding and can help you with this if you want.

I think he's asking if the drive shaft length, 17 inches, is to short to run.

I think he's asking if the drive shaft length, 17 inches, is to short to run.

Seems really short to me. It might be ok with low suspension.

Seems like a pretty popular conversion. The solution to your issue depends on a bunch of factors you need to post: what suspension, how's your body, how are you going to use the truck, how far are you into the conversion?

It doesn't look overly far back to me from this picture. If you're going to keep it low it should be ok.

DSC00017.JPG

I have the SBC with TH350 and Toyota Transfercase and it looks like my rear driveshaft will need to be 17" long. Does this seem too short?

I have similar setup, with a TH400 and Spicer20. I can measure flange-to-flange and see what I have later tonight. I recently also just had new front driveshaft made custom.

Turbo 400 and 700R4 set-ups usually end up in the 17" to 22" range, depending on engine location. With a SOA you will certainly want to use a double cardan on the rear driveline, and rotate the rear pinion up. A stock suspension will be a little more forgiving. I had a 400 in my first FJ40 with the stock spring set up and 2" longer shackles and my driveline length was 17 3/4". I never had a problem in dozens of Rubicon and Fordyce trips.

I have Rancho springs with a 2-3" lift, everything else in the suspension is stock. I have thought about flipping the rear springs but would need to move the shock mounts I think. I want just a 4X4 for fishing and camping. As for my progress I am mostly complete (body on) but I can still move the powertrain up and/or forward. But right now the fan with clutch is 1-2" from the radiator with the radiator in the stock position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom