driveshaft help needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i'm in the midst of a spring-over on my '74 fj40, i'm using a 3 speed transfer case, and my 3rd members are from a fj60, i cut and turned my front axle and tilted the rear pinion- both are pointing at the transfer case output shafts, from what i understand i need a cv joint on the transfer case end of my driveshaft and a regular u-joint on the 3rd member end, i also need long travel slip yokes....does anyone know of a shop that can build such a driveshaft? i've made a couple of calls and haven't had any luck yet....i''ve read up on this in the tech section and i know that some mini-trucks and fj60's had cv joint shafts, but those aren't going to mate up to my 3 speed transfer case are they?

thanks!

Jesse at High angle driveline www.highangledriveline.com, and many others can do it.
I just did a SOA with a similar set up. I am running a CV in the rear only. Not in the front.
Here is what I got- Spicer CV off the drum, mated to pretty much a minitruck driveline and yoke. Minitruck yokes are capable of steeper angles than LC (atleast FJ40's). The CV bolts to an adapter that they drilled and bolted right up to my drum so I did not have to relocate the studs coming off it.
The front is basically an entire minitruck line with a long travel slip. Minitruck yokes at each end.

Were I to do this again, I would track down two minitruck axles and have them shortened, because I spent a full 1k on new drive lines.

good luck-
Dustin

dustin said:
Were I to do this again, I would track down two minitruck axles and have them shortened, because I spent a full 1k on new drive lines.
Wow, what one could do with a grand. I got 2 CV dshafts from an early FJ60 for around $60 apiece plus another $160 having the lengths altered/balanced.

dgangle said:
Wow, what one could do with a grand. I got 2 CV dshafts from an early FJ60 for around $60 apiece plus another $160 having the lengths altered/balanced.

but how did you mate the fj60 flanges to your transfer case?

can i put the output flanges from a 4 speed transfer on my 3 speed or is the spline pattern different between the two?

mookie said:
can i put the output flanges from a 4 speed transfer on my 3 speed or is the spline pattern different between the two?
Yes you can do this... On the drum you can redrill for whatever pattern you want.

What I ended up doing for my rear driveshaft is using a tacoma driveshaft. they came with a cvjoint. the bolt pattern was for a later e-brake on the t-case end and then I used the slip joint from the cruiser on the 3rd member side.

hope this helps.

-Rico.

one more question....do the mini-truck flanges have the same bolt pattern as the land cruiser 4 speed t-case output shafts?

oh and something else i've been wondering about, if there is a way to get rid of the rear e-brake drum and just have a normal flange there instead? mine's gutted out and it just annoys me how much lower down it hangs than everything else, serving no purpose except as a mud container apparently...

mookie said:
but how did you mate the fj60 flanges to your transfer case?
83 FJ60 dshaft flanges are identical to my 08/75 FJ40. Bolts right up.

mookie said:
oh and something else i've been wondering about, if there is a way to get rid of the rear e-brake drum and just have a normal flange there instead? mine's gutted out and it just annoys me how much lower down it hangs than everything else, serving no purpose except as a mud container apparently...
Take the drum to a machinist and have the outer part of the drum turned down to the size of a round flange... Keeping it round helps keep things balanced.

HTH,
Nick

Just thought I'd mention Tom Wood's Shafts. Located in Ogden UT. He specializes in off roading as many others do. But I think most drive shaft shops can build or modify any CV jointed shaft you want.

4xshaft.com

I had my rear one replaced with one of his for around $300 or so.

I dont think the front flange on a 4 speed tcase is the same as a 3 speed, is it? At any rate, I know the front 3 speed flange is coarse spline because its the same as my front pinion's, which is a coarse spline pinion.
I replaced my front t-case flange and my coarse spline pinions flange with new ones that are round, and happened to be drilled for newer (fine spline/ 4 speed ) drive shafts. I then redrilled them to accept the minitruck bolt pattern which is wider than the Cruiser fine spline shafts. But if you were to go with FJ60 shafts, you would not have to drill new holes. I got mine from Cruiseroutfitters, but Man-a-fre, downey, and many others sell them too.

http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/companion flange.htm

One of the reasons I had use the adapter plate for the CV to the drum is that the index ring for the CV is a different size than the drum has, and the CV would have had to be machined to fit, as well as having to relocate the studs coming from the drum.

If you want to get rid of your rear drum, you can deff turn it down, or replace it with a disk break conversion, or even turn it down and make it into a disk for your own homestyle disk.

-Dustin

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom