Driveshaft clearance with vortec 6.0 swap SOA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.clarionbicycle.com
I have been trying to fix all the little issues with my newest 60 and am hung up again. The truck came to me with a 6.0 vortec swap with a 4l80e tranny to stock toyota tcase. THe suspension is sprung over with stock springs in the rear and a add a leaf in the front. And the front is shackle reversed. I hated how the front was 3-4 inches higher than the rear so I had the add a leafs removed. It brought it down closer to level but now I think I am realizing why they put them in there. The front driveshaft is now completely compressed at rest and the front ujoint is almost touching the oil pan. Also the fabricated crossmember is only 2-3 inches above the front diff and the small dent in the crossmember tube tells me they made contact at least once. Also the driver side engine mount cracked. I think from the driveshaft being bottomed out and putting pressure on it.

I have been doing nothing but brainstorming how to fix this issues and I'm hoping others hat have this swap have dealt with it. I've even seen people put vortecs in sua rigs so I am confused how I am having clearance issues soa. I am hoping I don't just have to jack it sky high to fix. Lower is better in my opinon. Hopefully this is all visible in the pics. .
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408923337.102641.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408923363.877201.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408923374.677731.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408923385.725379.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408923397.153600.jpg

Hummer pan would give you more clearance on the driveshaft, it is about one inch narrower on the right hand side. Could you cut the tube brace above the lower bend and put a piece of 1 X 2((or 3) depending on your tube size)rectangular tubing and weld it in place? joining the right and left sides. I'm Still plan on notching the pan in the front for additional diff clearance once I can get the mill cleaned up.

I made my motor mounts bolt on with through bolts and 1/2 DOM tubes to reinforce the frame so it would not crush the frame

028.JPG

029.JPG

Engine sit pretty low, what kind of clearance do you have with the hood closed? IE, hood to top of engine.

I would ditch that whole engine mount set up ASAP. I can't see 100% clearly but it looks like the crack came from undercutting in the weld or bad penetration? Re-do the engine mounts and dump the cross member under it is my vote. Sorry to say it but that engine mount/crossmember design is one of the worst I have seen yet. Even the AA mounts which I hate with a passion would be better than that.

Did this Cruiser come out of Florida? Think I saw it when it was for sale.

Cheers

three things I can see:

1. looks like diff will hit engine mount cross tube with minimal amount of up travel.
2. the engine looks placed too far towards the pass side
3. that front drive shaft looks buggered together

The way i would approach fixing it:

1/2. remove drivetrain, cut and remove existing mount system and completely re-do engine placement and mounting (keeping all clearances carefully in mind)
3. take shaft to reputable driveshaft shop for re-tube and balancing with new Toyota u-joints for installation

I believe there are a number of writeups referencing a camaro oil pan, engine does appear to be sitting low. Seems like you would want the engine sitting high as possible and able to close the hood. I know you bought it that way...and finding out stuff along the way.

I second dbleon.

I would get rid of how they have the engine mounted and at least go with the AA mounts or create your own that go to the frame. Do you have a picture of the engine from the top? Looks like it might possibly need to go up higher.

I would re-build the front driveline also. Get one that is not welded together. I wouldn't trust that deep in the woods where you really need 4wd.

The tranny cross member looks to be the same vintage/of similar design as the engine mounts. If the engine mounts are cracking like that I don't know if I'd trust the tranny cross member either. I'm in agreement with those before about redoing the mounts. Cut them off and start fresh.

Thanks for all the insight guys. One of my friends in Yankee Toys ( our local cruiser club) is going to re-do the mounts for me. Gonna move them more toward the driver side to make driveshaft clearance, then we are gonna have the shaft re-done. Torfab just did a beautiful vortec swap for mud member theron and looking at his great pictures really showed me what we need to do to make it right. As always mud comes through in a pinch.

Don't hit any hard bumps in the mean time, there is no more room for the drive shaft to compress, it may decide to compress itself and crack the front of the xfer case.

yeah...you need to get the engine mounts redone.....as others noted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom