Driveshaft clanking sound: Video (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Get under there and start yanking on the drive shaft at each end. With that much racket you should be able to find some slop somewhere under there. I take it you are in 2wd and the front hubs unlocked so the front drive shaft is not moving.

Get under there and start yanking on the drive shaft at each end. With that much racket you should be able to find some slop somewhere under there. I take it you are in 2wd and the front hubs unlocked so the front drive shaft is not moving.
Yes, I’m in 2 high. Front driveshaft isn’t moving. Sounds more like it’s coming from the rear

Maybe put the rear axle on jack stands and observe it running in gear since it occurs with no load on it.

Do you have a locker in the rear? Mine will do that when the locker does not unlock in a slow corner.

Does anyone know what this sound is? Seems like the driveshaft is bouncing all around. Will occur with or w/o clutch engaged. It’s annoying and scares the hell out of people leaving Publix lol 😂

Video link.

Thank you everyone for the questions.

I did what I could but didn’t notice anything obvious. I took it into to a local shop to look at my steering and they think it maybe bearings in the 3rd member. I ordered a bearing kit and also bought a used 3rd member just if it’s torn to shreds after breaking it down.

Now I’m narrowing in driveline shops in ATL to do a rebuild. I may go to one that one that I took my old FJ60. Also it’s pissing oil out of what looks like the rear main seal area.

Or do I crack this thing open and pray that I can read a manual and read manual? I can’t wait to get this 40 on the road regularly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom