Driver's side inner brake hose help please. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

^^^This^^^. I fell for the hype and bought a set of the aftermarket SS Braided brake lines/hoses maybe 15+ years ago but once I had them in my hands felt they were of a lower quality construction compared to the Toyota lines. Never installed them. FWIW.
So, he can buy them from you cheap?

Skimming the thread I did not see mention to flare nut wrenches. If you try to swap lines with a standard box wrench you are going to run into issues. I got away with a cheap set when I swapped out lines the first time at 150K. Now at 260K my cheap set rounded off the first flare nut so I bought a quality set. Have not dove into it again yet but I assume they will fit better.

Skimming the thread I did not see mention to flare nut wrenches. If you try to swap lines with a standard box wrench you are going to run into issues. I got away with a cheap set when I swapped out lines the first time at 150K. Now at 260K my cheap set rounded off the first flare nut so I bought a quality set. Have not dove into it again yet but I assume they will fit better.
I have set of flare wrenches on the bench for this job. So I'm good on that end.

IMO, the SS braided lines are a marketing gimmick. I wouldn't use them on a street truck or a trail truck.
You will find that OEM parts are almost always superior in quality to anything in the aftermarket, regardless of the hype. There are VERY few exceptions to this.
I'm about to do this job as well so I have no experience but I think this logic is good. Toyota knew these vehicles would be used in a wide variety of climates and environments. They also knew and expected that many of those environments would be harsh. As much as the 80 series has been thrashed on over the years and as much as I've read/seen on this forum over the past two years - the OEM brake lines were never the issue for anyone. So I figured if so many other 80's that get used harder than mine have survived with OEM brake lines, why change what works? Again, this is just my thought process but people with more experience under their belt have said similar things.

I bought the 2-4 inch kit extended brake hoses but now i'm wary of swapping them because i'm unsure of where they go. Care to explain? TIA
Uhhh...they go in place of the ones that are there?
I don't understand the question. On a FZJ80 there are 3 drops from the frame to the axles. 2 in the front and 1 in the rear. The lines you bought are longer than stock to accommodate for the lift so when the suspension droops, the lines are not stretched.

The description on the Wit's End website tells you where the extended lines go. It specifically tells you which one goes on the front passenger side. The other two are identical so you can't screw it up.
Screenshot_20201014-091709_Samsung Internet.jpg

The description on the Wit's End website tells you where the extended lines go. It specifically tells you which one goes on the front passenger side. The other two are identical so you can't screw it up.
View attachment 2465139

Last time someone said on mud Joey had that info wrong. Just confirming. I appreciate your excellent researching skills though :D

Uhhh...they go in place of the ones that are there?
I don't understand the question. On a FZJ80 there are 3 drops from the frame to the axles. 2 in the front and 1 in the rear. The lines you bought are longer than stock to accommodate for the lift so when the suspension droops, the lines are not stretched.

Joey says 2 of them go in the rear in the description for the kit, while you say 2 of them go in the front. I understand that they are just longer hoses, just wanted to make sure I know 100% where they go before I take them off. Thanx for the info

Joey says 2 of them go in the rear in the description for the kit, while you say 2 of them go in the front. I understand that they are just longer hoses, just wanted to make sure I know 100% where they go before I take them off. Thanx for the info
Also note that there (7) hoses total, IIRC.

It's a 3 channel ABS system. 2 in the front, 1 in the rear.
This is all explained in the FSM.

I think the intended interpretation is that the one part number that Joey lists goes front right (passenger) side. The other part number services both the rear line to the axle and the front driver side to the axle. I will confirm this when I put mine on but that's what I took his description to mean.

I think the intended interpretation is that the one part number that Joey lists goes front right (passenger) side. The other part number services both the rear line to the axle and the front driver side to the axle. I will confirm this when I put mine on but that's what I took his description to mean.

That makes sense. If you get around to do it, let me know. :)

The a2015 listed is different than the pictured hose (a2016), and they are different lengths, 2015 being longer, but looks like the fittings would both work? Every post I can find on Mud says 2016 for extended OEM, while no results for 2015

I just ordered 2016, but wondering if 2015 would have been better. It’s closer to the length of the stainless line currently on mine which seems to be nearly 16”, although it’s almost excessively long.

69CC505A-7F4A-481F-AC19-DFDB73F8D8E6.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all your help. Here's the update:
C.C. is back up and running. Tuesday night, I swung by Auto Zone and bought a bunch of stuff in preparation for the knuckle and birf job I'm going to start on this weekend. Found out after my purchase, I had just scored $20 in rewards, ontop of the other $20 that I didn't know I had🤷‍♂️ I ended up using my rewards cash, to buy both front brake hoses and the clips. I know...it's sacrilegious to the Cruiser, but before the Jerry Springer brawl starts...it's only a short term solution until I can purchase all the OEM hoses. After finishing the job up, my daughter and I bled the front brakes, then decided to take her to the local dealership to have a full flush done. I'm glad I went that route, my service advisor told me the brake lines were so dirty, the mechanic had to flush the system twice. While I was there, I was able to get a key cut Toyota style for $15, and they washed her.

As far as removing the inner driver side hose. It wasn't that hard of a job. Just be patient. I ended up putting the front on jack stands, and left the tires on for safety. I slid in from under the front of the engine, and had a pretty good view for the job. I used a 10mm flare wrench and a 17mm flare wrench, some pliers, and a flat head. With the front jacked up, I had a decent amount of wiggle room. You will need to remove the hard line on the axl in front of the hose, first in order to remove the end of the hose that goes into the axl. Just be prepared for the top part of the hose along the frame, to start leaking as soon as you crack it.

20201015_180050.jpg

20201015_180008.jpg

20201015_180120.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom