Drivers seat cushion replacement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know that SOR sells the Drivers Seat Cushion. Spendy, but they do seem to be good quality.

But are there any other vendors who sell seat cushion replacements (not the covers, just the cushion)?

Perfect Timing

Your post is perfectly timed. I was looking at SOR cushions yesterday and was going to post a question as to how well they work. I will be watching for more comments here.

Several years ago I bought ceramic heating elements and had my stock seats re-upholstered with the heaters in them. GREAT ADDITION and not too costly at the time. I should have replaced the cushion at that time but my upholstery person recommended "rebuilding". MISTAKE.

Replaced both cushions with SOR replacements, put in seat heaters and used the SOR black vinyl upholstery. Agreed, very spendy but the cushions are great!! I felt like my head was going to hit the headliner there was so much more support than the '80s vintage foam had.

I used the passenger foam from someone parting out their truck, not like new, but a lot less wear and tear on it than a drivers seat. In my particular case, it was a notable height change. Plus, when I found this one it was a lot less $$ than SOR foam, and I needed a non torn cover as well.

LINK

I replaced the drivers side in my 62 with the SOR cushion. It is very good quality but also VERY firm. You sit about 6" higher because of the foam density. I would recommend using a leather punch to put some holes in the foam to make it a little more comfortable...unless you want your seat rock hard.

cripes. 6" higher and I'd need a biiig sunroof!

You CAN make your own- the vintage car guys do it with foam and electric carving knives...

t

Bought the SOR years ago, they are still great. MIke

I used the passenger foam from someone parting out their truck, not like new, but a lot less wear and tear on it than a drivers seat. In my particular case, it was a notable height change. Plus, when I found this one it was a lot less $$ than SOR foam, and I needed a non torn cover as well.

LINK

X2...that's what I did, I had a 60 I was parting and kept the pass side seat, also picked up a used pass side bottom cover for a 62 series and works fine.

I put my SOR seat cushion in the driver's seat in 2006; ~50K ago. Still sits great! Highly recommend.

I replaced the drivers side in my 62 with the SOR cushion. It is very good quality but also VERY firm. You sit about 6" higher because of the foam density. I would recommend using a leather punch to put some holes in the foam to make it a little more comfortable...unless you want your seat rock hard.

I agree with LegShot, the SOR cushions are VERY firm and have remained so for eight years now, underneath my 200+ lb butt. Uncomfortably so on extended drives but very secure on the trail. They do sit you higher, I don't think 6" higher but maybe my OEM cushions weren't as bottomed out as LS's. I do have to be very cognizant of entering the Cruiser, however, and have many times low-bridged myself to the point of drawing blood from my bald pate. For the price SOR exacts, I'd suggest looking into what an upholstery shop can do for you. Once the originals are worn out, anything would be an improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom