Drivers seat belt switch?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I failed my out of province inspection on a couple small points, rear drums out of spec etc, one of them was the drivers seat belt, it’s supposed to be on a switch so the light in the dash and maybe the buzzer comes on. I traced the wire from the seat belt to a single wire clip behind the fuse box which you’ll see in the picture. It’s not connected to anything and I can’t see anything to connect it to. Any ideas?

A7B0F60D-239A-46F9-8F98-E75482A6DE3A.jpeg

So I failed my out of province inspection on a couple small points, rear drums out of spec etc, one of them was the drivers seat belt, it’s supposed to be on a switch so the light in the dash and maybe the buzzer comes on. I traced the wire from the seat belt to a single wire clip behind the fuse box which you’ll see in the picture. It’s not connected to anything and I can’t see anything to connect it to. Any ideas?

View attachment 2403980

Maybe other bj60 owners can help out, @MTNRAT

x2 Thats a GESTAPO Inspector for sure ! :oops:

- ok your mystery wire is a single terminal spade FEMALE connector , the color code is clearly white w/ black tracer stripe , this is a Ground wire .

the seat belt circuit when u engage the male chrome part to the female receiver on inside of seet has a pin switch inside and when engaged

completes the CLOSED portion of the circuit , hence shutting OFF the red dash indicator and audible Buzzzer and or chime too

how to daignose a ROGUE loose wire needing a home like you have is EAZY PEEZY , marty

so genitally with KIDZ gloves on , pull the wire at a predetermined starting point , and then in a methodical 3-D imaginably grid pattern in your head , stat sweeping up and to the RH side and LH side etc , never crossing paths twice until you cover all the ground .

in your case the connector was pulled off or fell off a male spade or out of a buzzer or control box of sorts

now to tie in all my points above : Remember 1 important fact here : The wire will only extend as far as it does , and your mystery MALE spade it connects to is ONLY within this short few inch range of motion the white wire w/ black tracer can reach and extend to in it natural range in all directions ..............

in other words the spot it plugs in is right there right in front of you maybe out of view , blocked by a relay or flasher box

look hard at that black box , to the RH side of the green flasher box , areas of good focus

the step by step i describe above is called by TOYOTA The Sweeping Technique

iv used is successfully many times with rogue wires etc , Remember : the wire only naturally extends so far , the its home is ONLY within this
specific range of motion .......

good luck , you will find it's home in short order :idea:

matt

View attachment 2403980

Marty ,

please take a moment and Review my factory BJ60 EWD FSM , i have concluded the wire i point out with the tip of my RED pen id your rogue wire .

if im correct , it simply is a Ground Side NEG- feed to the seat belt switch as you describe in detail above .....

it has to go to a Male Spade 6.3mm / .250 series mate some where super close to where its hanging now ?

hope this helps

DSCN4169.JPG
DSCN4168.JPG
DSCN4167.JPG
DSCN4166.JPG
DSCN4165.JPG

So did you find the male mate, and did this fix the seat belt light problem?

ah, I should have followed up on this, I did solve the problem.
So I used a jumper wire across the two leads at the connector and turned the key to on and the buzzer beeped for 4-6 seconds, thus proving the function worked. The dash light did not turn on, but using a test light proved that function worked as well. Once I got a new bulb it worked fine. I then used an ohm meter and plugged the seat belt in and out and my readings showed that the switch mechanism worked very infrequently, but sometimes. I had to pry the seat belt apart, which was challenging to do without breaking it, but the wire was broken inside the buckle, right near the switch mechanism. I managed to solder the wire together and glue the buckle back together. Since then I haven’t had a problem, works great!

also, side note. The seat belt light and buzzer will only turn on for a few seconds when the key is first turned on. It won’t beep at you again if you unbuckle at a later time. My mechanic had trouble believing this was the case and didn’t want to pass it (nazi) but the manual does state the function of turning the buzzer and light on for 4-6 seconds (I think) when started. But it doesn’t say that it won’t come on again any other time, which got tricky to convince the inspector of what it won’t do.

so to check your setup, verify the dash bulb and buzzer with a jumper on the harness leading the the buzzer. Turn the key to on (no start needed). Buzzer should beep 4-6 times I think. If dash light doesn’t also light up test the wire with a test light.

buzzer is located behind the passanger

Sorry, to answer your direct question, that female connector I found was simply attached to ground at the other end. Never found what it was used for originally, wasn’t involved with my problem. Just a ground

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom