Drivers Door won’t Unlock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Actuator failed couple of years ago but now the key and both in/out handles will not open door.
Key turns but won’t unlock and handles feel like they are not connected .
Master switch works locks and windows.
Drivers seat removed but I don’t see a path forward to access the innards.
93 FzJ 80
Help me Mr. Wizard (s)!

🆒

I would say spray the key lock using a straw with something like WD40 and get that key to work also using the inside lock switch.

Well first of all, you don’t have to remove the seat to access the door! It’s very easy to remove the door panel, just pop off the armrest and lock/window switch, you’ll see two screws under the armrest. Then remove screws near top of grab handle, then the screw on the inside lever trim. From there the panel just pops off. Should be plenty of youtube videos to help you.

Once you get this far, look inside the door as you cycle the lock and handles and you will likely see that a metal connecting rod(s) is not connected to where it should be, or some other rather obvious issue is at play. I’m betting it is an easy/obvious fix.

The plastic clip probably came off that attached to the rod.

Well first of all, you don’t have to remove the seat to access the door! It’s very easy to remove the door panel, just pop off the armrest and lock/window switch, you’ll see two screws under the armrest. Then remove screws near top of grab handle, then the screw on the inside lever trim. From there the panel just pops off. Should be plenty of youtube videos to help you.

Once you get this far, look inside the door as you cycle the lock and handles and you will likely see that a metal connecting rod(s) is not connected to where it should be, or some other rather obvious issue is at play. I’m betting it is an easy/obvious fix.

Ever tried that with the door closed?

Well first of all, you don’t have to remove the seat to access the door! It’s very easy to remove the door panel...
The problem the OP has is that the door is locked closed. Even after removing the screws holding the panel in place, it is still held in place by the door frame. It is near impossible to release the remaining panel clips and pull the panel off without tearing the door card apart.
I just recently went through this. I unscrewed the door hinges to release the door, but it didn't help much. The door was still locked to the striker. I eventually pried the top of the panel away from the window. I thought it would snap, but it flexed enough that I could reach in with a long screwdriver to manually pop the latch. In my case it was a broken return spring that prevented the latch from releasing.

Mine locked up at as well. Fortunately with the door open. Squirt some graphite powder in the lock. Turn key back-and-forth many times. Try the switch many times. I mean 100 times or more if nned be, maybe one of them will open the door. Once opened, fix it. I checked connections, and lubed appropriate parts with lithium grease, removed the latch assembly, lubed that as well.

That worked for a while, then the outside door handle snapped in half. Bought a new door handle assembly, have had no problems since.

Note that you can substitute weatherstripping for the missing or degraded rubber you will find around the actual latch assembly. Otherwise you have to buy a new latch assembly in order to get the rubber seal.

My takeaway: If the latch starts acting up in any way, deal with it before you HAVE to. Will probably happen to the drivers door years maybe even a decade before any other door, depending on usage.

Last edited:

Yep, not as easy as it sounds I can guarantee. You could maybe send a trained Cockroach behind the door panel to pop all those clips, ;) but even then...it would difficult to remove it without tearing it up. 'Seeing' it in your mind...is different than carrying it out.

Yep, not as easy as it sounds I can guarantee. You could maybe send a trained Cockroach behind the door panel to pop all those clips, ;) but even then...it would difficult to remove it without tearing it up. 'Seeing' it in your mind...is different than carrying it out.
Worst-case, grab another panel from a boneyard then have at it. Resell if not needed.

Oh that sucks, totally didn’t get that bit of info from the post. Good luck

Just an idea, how about calling a lock smith and asking him if he can get it open. They might have tools to open it that we don't know about. This just might be a less expensive option then ripping the door panel apart.

Just an idea, how about calling a lock smith and asking him if he can get it open. They might have tools to open it that we don't know about. This just might be a less expensive option then ripping the door panel apart.
Good idea, not sure it’s any cheaper unless you take the truck to him.

You might try removing the interior door handle bezel (one screw) to see if you can push/pull on the rod leading from the manual lock lever to the lock.

You're not alone..

These people had the same issue. Maybe this will help

The passenger door on my '97 80 was locked shut when I got my truck. I was able to remove the door panel with the door closed and then get the door open from there. Having various panel removal tools (the plastic pry bars with ends angled to varying degrees) to unclip the panel without damaging it really helped with removal for me. Once all clips have been popped, the three large screws removed, the window switch unplugged and the handle backing plate removed you can lift the panel up at the rear first and get the panel off without damage. Don't forget the wiring for the lower light once you get the panel lifted up.

Once your door is open you may need to remove the entire latch/lock mechanism which isn't too tricky. With the latch mechanism out you may find that a small spring that is easily visible has broken (you don't have to split the latch to find it etc.). This is a common-ish problem. I was able to bend a spring loop up to make a new hook/loop on the end of the spring where the hook/loop had broken off, reconnect the spring and be off to the races.

It may be worth tightening the phillips head screws on the inside of your door panel while it's off and also using some thin/runny superglue to strengthen the fiberboard around the clip holes if any are damaged.

Good luck,

The passenger door on my '97 80 was locked shut when I got my truck. I was able to remove the door panel with the door closed and then get the door open from there. Having various panel removal tools (the plastic pry bars with ends angled to varying degrees) to unclip the panel without damaging it really helped with removal for me. Once all clips have been popped, the three large screws removed, the window switch unplugged and the handle backing plate removed you can lift the panel up at the rear first and get the panel off without damage. Don't forget the wiring for the lower light once you get the panel lifted up.

Once your door is open you may need to remove the entire latch/lock mechanism which isn't too tricky. With the latch mechanism out you may find that a small spring that is easily visible has broken (you don't have to split the latch to find it etc.). This is a common-ish problem. I was able to bend a spring loop up to make a new hook/loop on the end of the spring where the hook/loop had broken off, reconnect the spring and be off to the races.

It may be worth tightening the phillips head screws on the inside of your door panel while it's off and also using some thin/runny superglue to strengthen the fiberboard around the clip holes if any are damaged.

Good luck,
So, this spring that breaks—is that part of the door handle assembly? Did I get a new one with the new handle? Or is this part of the latch mechanism? Thx!

From memory the door handle only has one large spring for the handle itself. This spring is part of what I would call the latch mechanism and that is the metal/plastic conglomeration that includes attachment points for the various handle rods, contains the electric lock motor in a black plastic housing and that is screwed to the door with three phillips head screws, etc. The spring is relatively small, maybe 1/4" to 1/2" in length with a loop on each end. From what I've seen one of the loops will break off leaving the spring attached only on one end.

Hope that helps.

Find a spring at your local hardware store. By two became eventually the spring on your hood will fail....then you need to remove the grill, but I digress!
Think I still carry two spares somewhere.

All fixy.
The small spring on the latch was broken.
Trip to the hardware store scored a slightly longer spring as previously indicated but it worked.
Stoked for the weekend.
Thanks mates,

🆒

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom