Driver's door locked, won't unlock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
'91 LC, key will go in driver's door about 3/4, then stop. Try to unlock from inside vehicle with both electric lock button and the manual button, nothing. Almost feels like the manual button near door handle inside is jammed.

The vehicle was locked from the inside.

Thoughts, fixes? thanks

'91 LC, key will go in driver's door about 3/4, then stop. Try to unlock from inside vehicle with both electric lock button and the manual button, nothing. Almost feels like the manual button near door handle inside is jammed.

The vehicle was locked from the inside.

Thoughts, fixes? thanks
Search around. Basically, it's not all that uncommon, and can be dealt with. Mainly, you need to put the driver's seat all the way back, get into the door, and see what's up. Often it's as simple as a broken spring that can be replaced for 49 cents from any hardware store. Curtis

Real time...

Been outside since 6:30 am working on this issue.

Cannot open the drivers door, seems like the power lock and key cannot engage therefore causing the door handle to default.

I have the PS openend up and it looks real simple.

Oh and with the DS door closed there really isn't an easy way the remove the inner door panel.

Had a moment of dim revelation and decided to drill through the panel and use a screwdriver the just push the latch open, but alas my patience is gone.

Looks like I will try the dealer or locksmith.

Search my name in 80s tech.

BTDT

IT is hard, but not impossible to get the panel loose when the door is closed.

Once you get it off, you can get the arms off of the inside door latch mechanism, and this will allow enough slack for the door to open.

Then you'll have to get inside the black case and fab something up so the spring, which I'm guessing is like mine, had melted itself into the plastic.

I did a full write up with pics about a year ago.

I woke up to this issue this morning. What a pain in the ass.

I'm not looking forward to this task.

Will try to post some pics on how to get the door unlocked and open.

Moderators: FAQ?

maybe

I had trouble getting my key to turn and the doors to unlock when i bought my cruiser. I went and had a spare key made and the new spare key worked perfectly. If i still try to use the origonal key from toyota I cant get the door to unlock more than half the time. The new key was cut with nice new sharp edges and I suspect the worn stock key was not doing its job anymore due to wear and tear.:confused:

Hope this might be helpful to you and cheap to try out.

Nope. Electric locks will unlock all but drivers door. The lock mechanisism is what is broken. Problem is it is stuck in the locked position. Key will go in and lock but you cannot turn it much the otherway to unlock.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to get the door unlocked so I can work on fixing it.

Nope. Electric locks will unlock all but drivers door. The lock mechanisism is what is broken. Problem is it is stuck in the locked position. Key will go in and lock but you cannot turn it much the otherway to unlock.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to get the door unlocked so I can work on fixing it.

A few of us have gotten into the door from the inside to open/unlock it. Honestly, I don't remember it being all that difficult. In fact now that I think of it, it happened to me during a cross country trip and I fixed it in a motel parking lot in Salina, KS. :lol:

Or you could just call a locksmith with a slim jim, right?

Good luck,

Curtis

I got it unlocked!

No way I was getting the inner panel off due to the fact my speakers are screwed through the panel and into the door and one screw was hidden due to the dash.

I took a wedge and put it in between the window and the inner door panel. There is a small green piece holding the inner handle rod together, right below this is a piece of metal with a hook. I used a piece of 1/8 inch solid rod and pushed down on this piece. Once it was down the door unlocked by using the outside handle.

I will take it apart this weekend and take pics of what I was talking about.

Search my name in 80s tech.

BTDT

IT is hard, but not impossible to get the panel loose when the door is closed.

Once you get it off, you can get the arms off of the inside door latch mechanism, and this will allow enough slack for the door to open.

Then you'll have to get inside the black case and fab something up so the spring, which I'm guessing is like mine, had melted itself into the plastic.

I did a full write up with pics about a year ago.

I read on the other thread that you opened the door by removing the plastic around the interior door handle. Then unlatched something??

What did you unhook? Did I understand that right?

My door is lock and taking the panel off with it closed seems wicked hard.

Anybody get it unlocked by taking off the cover on the interior handle and disconnecting something? I'm about to roll the window down and start getting in and out Duke's of Hazard style.

One of my rear doors had a similar problem. The outside door handle wasn't retracting all of the way on the inside.

You know how you try to hit the power door lock at the same time the wife pulls up on the handle? Same kind of thing was happening.

As TH said, you might be able to get a slim jim like thing down there and push the linkage down.

Maybe a little percussive adjustment might shake it loose. Liberal doses of spray white lithium afterwards while jiggling the handle up and down.

If it is the outdoor handle linkage, then taking the inner door linkage off won't do anything.

I have a 91 as well; the same thing happened to me. I'm tellin' ya, it can be done. You just need to get the panel partway removed, to where you can get your hand or a long screwdriver or whetever in there and trip the lock.

You can dooooo it!! :D

Curtis

Thanks. I will try again tomorrow. I assume you mean to get at it from the top??

Get all the screws out of the way, and then pop enough (all?) of the clips to be able to lift the trim panel off the lip of the window sill, giving you just enough room at the top rear corner to go to work. At least that's how I remember it...:eek:

Curtis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom