Drivers cv axle is clicking… Cardone or cvjreman for replacements? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very happy with my Cardone HD’s after previously having OEM’s installed. I indeed have a vibration at 70mph but I’m pretty sure it’s due to camber wear on my front tires. I wheel that rig hard and haven’t torn a boot yet after 10,000mi.

There are plenty of ppl reporting their OEM axles having their boots ripped within a year. I am one of them, it took exactly 11 months (and abt 10k miles) for my super expensive, bought direct from dealership OEN axles to start spitting out grease.

On the other hand there are quite a few members reporting good success with Cardone HD, GSP and ORielly branded remans. Choose your poison wisely.
Did you have loose clamp or boot ripped on your 11 months old CV axle?

Both, unfortunately.
Damn. I would be so pissed. Are you lifted? Do you do take it off-road? I replaced my passenger with OEM because I only wanted to do that job once.

Damn. I would be so pissed. Are you lifted? Do you do take it off-road? I replaced my passenger with OEM because I only wanted to do that job once.
Mine was lifted but I had a diff drop installed and yes those CVS saw a couple of light duty wheeling sessions.
But honestly I am not the only one who had to deal with it here. There a few other members here with similar experience.

OEM costs only slightly more than the Cardones once all the coin is rolled up. I'm not an OE fan boy, and I vote run the OE here. The boots are better, the clamps are installed better, the general install hassle is reduced... I could go on. This isn't a place to cut costs.

OEM costs only slightly more than the Cardones once all the coin is rolled up. I'm not an OE fan boy, and I vote run the OE here. The boots are better, the clamps are installed better, the general install hassle is reduced... I could go on. This isn't a place to cut costs.

Where did you get the OEM axle that is only slightly more than the Cardones?

How can a clamp be installed better? It’s either installed right or wrong, no? FWIW the clamps on my Cardones were 100% installed.

Let’s be a bit more realistic about the actual cons of Cardone HD’s?

1) Absolutely no documentation or installation help
2) Not so great warranty
3) Inconsistent QC
4) They’re made in a dirty factory, and sometimes arrive dirty but unused brand new sealed. Wtf?

Things like build quality, clamps, boot quality and material, overall fitment are the same. I’ve installed many OEM CV’s, refurb OEM CV’s, mystery Amazon CV’s and Cardone HD in my 100. They don’t shake, the HD boots are lasting longer with heavy wheeling. They’re really damn good CV’s, if you’re okay with the 4 points above.

My two cents, love you all.

Where did you get the OEM axle that is only slightly more than the Cardones?

OE new is ~450 per. OE reman is ~$115. I take the reman Toyota all day over a new Cardone.

How can a clamp be installed better? It’s either installed right or wrong, no? FWIW the clamps on my Cardones were 100% installed.

You would think. As did I. The boot was in position when at rest and straight but the boot slipped off the cup easily once the joint was bent. Looked like they used the wrong size oetiker clamp. This was likely enabled by the fact that Cardone uses a thin semi-rigid plastic for their boots rather than the thick, compliant rubber seen in the OE part. I've also seen the Cardone split after a few hundred miles. Seen them so hard to install that we sent them back. They aren't even an option for us any longer - and we advise the same for others.

LC/LX is more than a name. It's a product born from OCD engineering and processes. There are places where commodity parts are just that, but functional parts fall into a different bucket. Sometimes that hurts the wallet. Luckily, the reman option lets you avoid that this time.

OE new is ~450 per. OE reman is ~$115. I take the reman Toyota all day over a new Cardone.

You would think. As did I. The boot was in position when at rest and straight but the boot slipped off the cup easily once the joint was bent. Looked like they used the wrong size oetiker clamp. This was likely enabled by the fact that Cardone uses a thin semi-rigid plastic for their boots rather than the thick, compliant rubber seen in the OE part. I've also seen the Cardone split after a few hundred miles. Seen them so hard to install that we sent them back. They aren't even an option for us any longer - and we advise the same for others.

LC/LX is more than a name. It's a product born from OCD engineering and processes. There are places where commodity parts are just that, but functional parts fall into a different bucket. Sometimes that hurts the wallet. Luckily, the reman option lets you avoid that this time.
Did you ever get a chance to see the HD-edition Cardone model? I think they fixed those flaws you mention.

Going to OE reman adds less than $100 to the job compared to the HD Cardones. They currently list their boot as being made of "heavy duty thermoplastic."

We don't see this as a reasonable place for us to cut costs. YMMV.

There are plenty of ppl reporting their OEM axles having their boots ripped within a year. I am one of them, it took exactly 11 months (and abt 10k miles) for my super expensive, bought direct from dealership OEN axles to start spitting out grease.

On the other hand there are quite a few members reporting good success with Cardone HD, GSP and ORielly branded remans. Choose your poison wisely.

I stopped by the dealer yesterday. Lo and behold their service dept had several brand new vehicles in for mechanical repairs. Some were major. Shocking? Not really. Irritating for the owner? You bet.

But when new parts fail people are surprised. Guys, new parts fail. That's why you get parts with a warranty. The trick is to find parts sources that minimize that downtime opportunity. Cardone has never been a preferred vendor for quality. They win on cost, and in instances like these, that win is small.

I thought those had less ball bearings in them? or was it they and the cups were smaller? Didn't someone post a pic in the last two years?

Going to OE reman adds less than $100 to the job compared to the HD Cardones. They currently list their boot as being made of "heavy duty thermoplastic."

We don't see this as a reasonable place for us to cut costs. YMMV.

Do the splines on the reman axle look brand new or worn out?

They were used for sure, but far from worn out. This will vary part to part. Toyota sells it as reman if the part isn't wholly new, but that does not mean that some components aren't new.

Another neat tidbit: I asked the parts manager about the new ones. He said that each time he has ordered them, the order gets kicked back - though I forget the reason. The gist of it is that OE remans are all he said they had been able to get for a while. If anyone actually gets new axles from Toyota I would like to hear about it.

Last edited:
They were used for sure, but far from worn out. This will vary part to part. Toyota sells it as reman if the part isn't wholly new, but that does not mean that some components aren't new.

Another neat tidbit: I asked the parts manager about the new ones. He said that each time he has ordered them, the order gets kicked back - though I forget the reason. The gist of it is that OE remans are all he said they had been able to get for a while. If anyone actually gets new axles from Toyota I would like to hear about it.
I bought a new OEM (full price version) back in May? I guess that’s kind of a long time ago now? Ordered from McGeorge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom