Driver Side Headlight Not Working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since I got my 97 cruiser in September the driver side headlight hasn't worked. I haven't driven at night so it hasn't been issue. However, I have a tripped planned this weekend and figured I would change the bulbs. I installed the Sylvania 9006 Ultra Halogen and it still didn't work. I pulled the passenger side and installed a new bulb and it worked with no issue. I checked the fuses & swapped the fuses under the hood and it still didn't work. I tried another bulb and struck out again. I swapped the relay and nothing. According to multimeter I'm getting 11v at the plug. One thing I did notice though is it seems that the bulb isn't sliding all the way into the harness. I tried pulling out the orange gasket on the harness to get a little extra space and that didn't seem to help. I'm using the stock wiring harness and I didn't notice anything tied into it by the PO. Any ideas or suggestions?

If I’m not mistaken I believe the polarity is reversed on the 80. This could make or break it for LEDS but hard to believe the PO changed something only to one side?

Someone correct me if im wrong.

EDIT: 11v should still turn a halogen but not an LED:::scratching my head::::

It's a lightbulb. You need +12 and ground. You don't have LEDs so polarity doesn't matter.
I'm assuming the +11 is with the engine off. That should be fine, but I would verify the voltage on the side that works as well.
The relay feeds +12 to both sets of bulbs.
The fuses feed +12 to both bulbs on each side.

Do both high beams work?
Do you have a hard ground on the white/black stripe wire?
Are you certain that the pins in the connector are not bent?

Yes, the +11 is when the engine is off. I did not check the voltage on the PS but I'll try that. Yes, both high beams are working with no issues. I didn't notice a white/black stripe wire. Is that coming off of the fuse box? I'm beginning to think it may be the connectors being the bulb. The PS side slides in with no resistance and there is audible click. On the DS, there is a bit of resistance and no click.

Yes, the +11 is when the engine is off. I did not check the voltage on the PS but I'll try that. Yes, both high beams are working with no issues. I didn't notice a white/black stripe wire. Is that coming off of the fuse box? I'm beginning to think it may be the connectors being the bulb. The PS side slides in with no resistance and there is audible click. On the DS, there is a bit of resistance and no click.
Each low beam bulb socket has 2 wires.
Left low beam - red/blue stripe (+12) and white /black stripe (GND)
Right low beam - red/white stripe (+12) and white/black stripe (GND)

If the bulb is not seating in the socket correctly, then either the pins are bent internally or the plastic housing is damaged or has debris inside.

Each low beam bulb socket has 2 wires.
Left low beam - red/blue stripe (+12) and white /black stripe (GND)
Right low beam - red/white stripe (+12) and white/black stripe (GND)

If the bulb is not seating in the socket correctly, then either the pins are bent internally or the plastic housing is damaged or has debris inside.

I'll have to compare the DS to the PS. This is what the DS looks like.

20201016_083035.jpg

Yes, I'll check the continuity across the bulb. I'm on a Zoom call but when it ends I'm going step out to the garage and try to do some trouble shooting.

I think I have it figured out. I shot the connector for the bulb with some compressed air, slid the bulb in and it briefly came on. I wiggled it a bit and it stayed on for a few minutes and then went out. Wiggled it again and it came back to life. I reassembled the headlight and it stayed on. Fingers crossed for this weekend. I also ordered the Slee wiring harness just to be on the safe side in the future.

The slee harness actually caused more problems for me. If you get it working, just leave it be. It's documented on MUD, the slee harness can lead to intermittent loss of highs or lows, one at a time or both, random. I pulled mine out and have been happy since.

Sounds like your problem was just crud in the connector, so clean it out good and leave it alone.

That's my two cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom