Driver Side CV Achilles Heel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TeCKis300

GOLD Star
Threads
Say it ain't so? An actual Bruiser Achilles Heel?

This vid seems to suggest that that driver side CV is a known somewhat weak spot? I find the break hard to imagine as it wasn't even on a super high traction surface and wheels were straight ahead.

What's known is this Bruiser was on 35s, what looks to be a pretty large lift, and front locker. Wondering if there's other causal factors here? UCA pulling the front tire forward too far putting the CV at more extremes?

I know others have lost CVs on this board. Are they commonly the drivers side?

That's the 3rd time they had a 200 snap a CV. Haven't watched this one yet so not sure which 200 it is. But the first time was a 200 lifted no lockers, then a 200 ute snapped one also on shalley hill climb that was unlocked.

Aside from tire size, I feel like the amount they load down on weight plays a factor. The 2 videos of theirs I saw with 200 snapping a CV were because of low traction wheel speed to sudden traction. Maybe time for chromoly shafts to become available for 200s.

Last edited:
I’d be curious to know from those who’ve broken CV’s, how their 200’s are specced. Lift size, tire size, lockers/no lockers, approx weight when broken, OEM shafts or aftermarket, etc...

Great video! Thanks for sharing. The 200 sounds greats. Triple locked on 35”s. Would his CV be more susceptible to break being triple locked on 35”s? I’m impressed they can change out a CV so quickly in muddy conditions. The cooking scene is fantastic. Those are the kind of guys that are fun to hangout with. Not a bunch of uptight weenies. 😎

Last edited:
Are the left and right cv’s the same?

It didn’t look like he was that hard on the throttle.

Are the left and right cv’s the same?

It didn’t look like he was that hard on the throttle.

none of the vids i've seen 200s breaking CVs appear in send-it mode. But a lot is climbing up, where the CVs are drooped, a slight unload of tire and as soon as it hits dirt, bang. Good thing it's the sparebox truck. It feels like these guys just break stuff to advertise sparebox haha.

My favorite show in youtube, what a funny bunch of fellas!

Doesn’t appear to be OEM.....granted they snapped their first somewhere but no details on how.

Didn’t someone on this board snap a DS CV in the snow - stock?

Doesn’t appear to be OEM.....granted they snapped their first somewhere but no details on how.

Didn’t someone on this board snap a DS CV in the snow - stock?
Someone on here snapped a driver side CV on a muddy hill pulling a turtle back or the likes trailer. Expected cause of failure: high wheel speed then sudden traction and bang. It's on one of the Mountain State Overland videos.

none of the vids i've seen 200s breaking CVs appear in send-it mode. But a lot is climbing up, where the CVs are drooped, a slight unload of tire and as soon as it hits dirt, bang. Good thing it's the sparebox truck. It feels like these guys just break stuff to advertise sparebox haha.

My favorite show in youtube, what a funny bunch of fellas!

Great point that it's seemingly at max droop and climbing. Sure doesn't seem like a particularly stressful situation locker or not. From the tire to fender gap with 35s, that's some impressive droop travel this rig has.

I went and dug more on how the Partsbox Cruiser was built. Their setup does add quite a bit more droop travel looking at the length of the aftermarket coilovers. Looks to me like ~2" longer droop travel, which is not unheard of with some suspensions. They did also add a front diff drop which should account for the stress of added droop to a degree. The unknown in my mind is their alignment and if they tried to bring the tire forward too far with the UCA, as that's perhaps known as a CV stressor? And whether they've been using OEM CVs to @04UZJ100 point. Just something doesn't seem quite right with a CV letting go in such fashion.

1616169213815.png

I wish they'd go a bit further in depth on what tools exactly were used. I see a couple crowbars, and a battery impact.
What's not addressed? Seals? What they loosened/removed to get in there aside from the hub / rotor, etc.
Did they recapture the fluid, not need to, or add more?

I have a couple spare CVs from replacing them when the gears went in (no, it wasn't necessary . . .), but I don't carry one as a trail spare as I don't know what steps to do the replacement. I do carry giant axle nut socket.

Would love to get the beta on the trail side replacement so I could build up the kit to be ready for this failure.

I have a feeling I am about to replace a CV next week. Wish I could do it in 25 minutes!

Their install instructions would be super helpful.

I’m a little surprised they went with Blisteins. For those that have experience with them, are they that good all round? The Rhino bumper sure looks good with those 35”s. They didn’t mention KDSS rubbing. I know from having 35”s that is definitely rubs with +18 offset wheels, but not terribly. Nor did they mention re-gearing. Seems like an obvious with all the weight and tires.

Interesting read here. Good stuff. My failure was driver side too. When my CV busted it was on a steep incline, loose dirt and lots of wheel spin when it decided to give out. Not sure if the boot got torn earleir on the trail and then failed at this moment of woefully ignorant driving.

Specs
2013 LC
87,000 miles
2" tough dog lift
33" tires
Weight is approx 450lbs over stock

20200821_150545.jpg

20200821_150450.jpg

Last edited:
I wish they'd go a bit further in depth on what tools exactly were used. I see a couple crowbars, and a battery impact.
What's not addressed? Seals? What they loosened/removed to get in there aside from the hub / rotor, etc.
Did they recapture the fluid, not need to, or add more?

I have a couple spare CVs from replacing them when the gears went in (no, it wasn't necessary . . .), but I don't carry one as a trail spare as I don't know what steps to do the replacement. I do carry giant axle nut socket.

Would love to get the beta on the trail side replacement so I could build up the kit to be ready for this failure.

Descent run-down here for a Tundra that is equivalent, albiet a bit shaky video. It's not too bad *if* one has the right tools. 35mm, 19mm, 17mm, 12mm, 10mm sockets. Couple other magic tools. Pulling the CV on the diff side can be a challenge.

Not sure if this were to happen on the trail, that I would attempt a repair. Depending on how technical the remaining trail is, I would maybe just sawzall the flinging CV axle tube and run RWD to get off the trail?

Pickle fork!

Descent run-down here for a Tundra that is equivalent, albiet a bit shaky video. It's not too bad *if* one has the right tools. 35mm, 19mm, 17mm, 12mm, 10mm sockets. Couple other magic tools. Pulling the CV on the diff side can be a challenge.

Not sure if this were to happen on the trail, that I would attempt a repair. Depending on how technical the remaining trail is, I would maybe just sawzall the flinging CV axle tube and run RWD to get off the trail?

This is something I’d like to add to my tool chest and mechanical knowledge/skills. Thanks for the link. I ended up driving home with the center diff locked and the front driveshaft removed. It was a noisy ride home and uneventful. fortunately nothing else was damaged with the CV flopping around.

They are one of my favorite channels on youtube and I love that they are always making a big mess of food too lol. $hit breaks, it doesn't happen very often on these trucks but apparently a lot of wheel spin brought to a sudden stop with larger tires can do the trick.

I'm getting a ticking noise from my DS CV about 4k miles after I installed my Ironman FCP lift. The noise is worse while turning. I suspect my CV is on it's way out and I'll be replacing it soon. Anyone know how long I might have before it goes out on me? Going to add a diff drop kit when I replace it.

@Bawa that 200 in the video is a member on here.

Thanks for posting this, very informative. Hanging the caliper by the brake line goes against everything I’ve ever seen or been told while working in a shop but to each their own I guess... idk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom