Driver Door VIN/Options Sticker Removal For Door Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fzj80 1997

SILVER Star
Threads
The window frame on the door of one of my 80’s is jacked up and I think the easiest way of fixing it is to replace the door. Can anyone with experience tell me if there’s a chance the VIN label can be removed in tact and reglued on the new door? If not, has anyone had a good quality reproduction sticker made?

I helped a buddy with this last summer. His door was damaged due to no sliders and a few too many trails. We paracticed taking the build sticker off the donor door but it was impossible. There is a clear cover that comes off but the actual sticker with the info just fractures and chips. Nothing we tried made any difference.
We eventually just cut the original out and threw it in the glove box 🙃

The window frame on the door of one of my 80’s is jacked up and I think the easiest way of fixing it is to replace the door. Can anyone with experience tell me if there’s a chance the VIN label can be removed in tact and reglued on the new door? If not, has anyone had a good quality reproduction sticker made?
They are made to not be removed, so if something like a door or panel is replaced, you can tell.

I helped a buddy with this last summer. His door was damaged due to no sliders and a few too many trails. We paracticed taking the build sticker off the donor door but it was impossible. There is a clear cover that comes off but the actual sticker with the info just fractures and chips. Nothing we tried made any difference.
We eventually just cut the original out and threw it in the glove box 🙃
I was thinking that’s probably what I’ll settle with if I can’t find someone that makes reproduction stickers. Thanks for the heads up

I asked a parts guru about this some years ago, as mentioned above the sticker is designed to self-destruct if you attempt to peel it off. But he also said you can request a replacement VIN sticker via a dealer but it's requires some paperwork and may not be the same format as the original, IIRC.

So maybe try your local Toyota parts dept to ask if it's possible to get a replacement VIN sticker??

Could you cut the sticker off, by cutting the rectangle of metal out that it's adhered to, and then epoxy the metal and sticker onto the new door?

Reactions: PIP
Could you take a picture and print it on an adhesive sticker material? I see ads for companies that make stickers online. I wonder if an office supply place like Staples or FedEx Office can print on that material?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom