Driver door hinge adjustment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1988 FJ62- I just replaced my worn out driver's door hinges with a salvaged set and now the door needs fine tuning on the alignment. I've discovered that getting to the hinge frame bolts with the door in place is so tight that I can barely get a box wrench in there. Anyone here have any experience and or tips to help me out with this? Taking the front fender apart to get access seems to be the next option but that would take forever. Thanks for any help or advice.

There is a special service tool that toyota sells for 45-60 bucks. It is essentially an S wrench. I have the same issue and I plan on buying a set of Harbor Freight S wrenches to see how they go...

There is a special service tool that toyota sells for 45-60 bucks. It is essentially an S wrench. I have the same issue and I plan on buying a set of Harbor Freight S wrenches to see how they go...

Appreciate the quick reply! I have a Harbor Freight store close by. I'll check and see if they have the S-wrenches.

I think I have loosened fenders in the past - not sure if I did that on an FJ62 - to gain some wrench room. This may be impossible on an 60 series, since they used 700 fasteners to attach the front fender assembly (inner and outer). If you can just peel back the outer fender and inch or two, that could make all the difference.

I also learned that the lower passenger's side front door hinge can be used on the upper driver's side. Frequently, the pass. side hinges are FAR less worn than the driver's side. I may have had to shave off a bit of the hinge with a grinder - don't recall - but this hinge was nice and tight and left me with a much better driver's door situation. If your salvage hinges are tight, then this won't be an issue for you.

Thanks Steve for the good info on hinges,
Looking at what it would take to get the fender to open up even a little seems like a big job. I'm going to see how this S-wrench idea goes first. What I thought would be a fairly easy job is becoming a pain in the butt.

Hi, It would help you greatly if you make a support for holding the door while adjusting. Mike

Get the wrench, crazy without it. Do not loosen bolts much, just enough to "tweak" the door without having to hold it in place.

Amazon product ASIN B06Y3MNYZ1

Two things - I often use a milk crate with a folded blanket (and or 2x8 boards on it) as a support for partly-open car doors. Also, you can buy a cheap Chinese wrench and heat/bend it to get a new shape you might need for a job like this. I have a folded-in-half 12mm wrench for carburetor hold-down nuts, which often cannot be accessed by nearly anything.

As stated, buy the special wrench - you need the offset 15* head. You can make something that'll work, but will require heat/bend and still will be a PITA.

Cheap ChiComm versions of that wrench on ebay for $15. It's a 12mm.

1988 FJ62- I just replaced my worn out driver's door hinges with a salvaged set and now the door needs fine tuning on the alignment. I've discovered that getting to the hinge frame bolts with the door in place is so tight that I can barely get a box wrench in there. Anyone here have any experience and or tips to help me out with this? Taking the front fender apart to get access seems to be the next option but that would take forever. Thanks for any help or advice.

Hinges are available new from Toyota. FYI.
Buy/order a cheap correct wrench.

FYI. the harbor freight wrenches didn’t work for me.

Just curious... Whats a worn hinge feel like?

Grab the bottom edge of the open door, and attempt to pick up the door vertically. If the upper hinge is worn, you'll feel the slop in it.

Hinges are available new from Toyota. FYI.
Buy/order a cheap correct wrench.

I looked for hinges and couldn't find them on the McGeorge site, do you have a part number or a site?

I looked for hinges and couldn't find them on the McGeorge site, do you have a part number or a site?

E3F13327-D4E7-445E-88B7-72CD3DF5C456.jpeg

Thanks all for replies and photos. I've ordered the Toyota door adjustment wrench to fine tune the adjustment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom