Driveline vibration/noise after lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have read many of the posts on the topic of driveline noise and vibes but need some suggestions on what the next best steps are for my situation: A vibration/droning sound at 65-70 mph+/- since installing a lift. The sound goes away immediately if I let off the accelerator, and comes back until I power up to 75-80mph.

Vehicle stats
-2003 w/205K
-Lift: Tough Dog TourFlex heavy springs rated 660-1100#- I sit 23" hub to fender in the rear, 21.25" front. 45mmrear adjustable, 53mm front
-TrailTailor Adjustable RUCA/LCA's, extended sway bar links
-Nitro Gear FUCA's
-Tires 34PSI BFG T/A K02 275/70 R18 tundra rims
-New inner and outer TRE's
- Newer OEM lower control arms

Actions taken
- Aligned rear driveshaft to match rear pinion angle via control arms (see photo)
IMG_20210220_161737.jpg

- Set rear control arms (upper and lower) at approx 3/8" over stock length
- Greased rear DS slip yoke

Notes
- Slip yoke shows approx 3/4" of newly exposed length with the lift.
IMG_20210220_161719.jpg

- There is minor play in the slip yoke perpendicular to the length of the yoke. (up and down or side-side movement)

Planned Actions
- remove rear DS, drive at problematic speeds (weeeeeee) test for vibes

What kind of tires do you have?
I ask because I’m rowing on the other side of the boat your in.... and it is frustrating to say the least. I have a lifted 100 that had exact same tires as it does now. Drove it 50k and bought new Bfg ko2s. First 5k no problem, slight vibration. Rechecked 4 times the balancing/rotating-and did u joints, new front end all! Of it triple checked.... glad I did cause the Front bearings needed snugged a tad more. New everything up front and adjusted the air pressure, air shock/bag pressure in rear and............
Unless it’s weighed down- it has a tiny almost insignificant vibration that is directly connected to my last Nerve in my head that makes me want to drive it off a cliff, set it on fire, spread the ash’s out and piss on them.
It could be I have a bad tire somewhere and I need to buy another and start switching it into the 4 corners until problem is resolved.
I have wheel spacers, Yet they never caused any issues in last 55k miles

Ps my rig has 250k ,I’m skeptical of the tires.

Oh and Do the U joints and you will be glad you did regardless.

76FAE6E6-CC54-412A-B2E5-2A0DCF7AC7E2.jpeg

Check your exhaust post cat, on my truck post lift I had the passenger side bend rub against the back torsion bar bracket. I needed to have an exhaust shop cut out the offending bend and weld in a section that wouldn’t resonate against the chassis.

I had replace the rubber exhaust hanger grommets before chassis this vibration and tried adding the exhaust damper weight which didnt solve the issue.

What is the pitch/frequency of the sound? Does it have any high frequency content like metal on metal?

When I replaced my Ujoints, the vibration was reduced. They were original most likely and with a 1/4 of a million miles they definitely needed it. Very much cost efficient. Wasn’t bad for Oem

Check your exhaust post cat, on my truck post lift I had the passenger side bend rub against the back torsion bar bracket. I needed to have an exhaust shop cut out the offending bend and weld in a section that wouldn’t resonate against the chassis.

I had replace the rubber exhaust hanger grommets before chassis this vibration and tried adding the exhaust damper weight which didnt solve the issue.
I'm have to check that

**Update.
Test driven with each driveshaft removed and there's still a humming/resonating vibration almost exactly at 70mph, only while on throttle.

Not sure if both sets of u-joints in both driveshafts are causing the issue.

Took the opportunity to grease the u-joints, and slip yokes.

Not sure what to check next...

If u joints are in need of replacement, grease will only be a temporary remedy. I think it was $225 for Oem to replace all u joints.

**Update.
Test driven with each driveshaft removed and there's still a humming/resonating vibration almost exactly at 70mph, only while on throttle.

Not sure if both sets of u-joints in both driveshafts are causing the issue.

Took the opportunity to grease the u-joints, and slip yokes.

Not sure what to check next...
Did you ever figure this out?

I've been struggling with this same issue, but more of a vibration through the floor at 70-80 MPH for a long minute now (1 year) and still haven't been able to figure it out.

Getting an alignment seems to help, but not entirely. And then after 2 or 3 trailing trips I seem to knock the alignment out and the vibration is back. What's weird is that its very intermittent. Sometimes it will shake at 75, sometimes it will be smooth as butter.

At this point, I just chalk it up to how high my lift in the front is and the angle of the driveshaft. Once I put on some 285s from my current 265 setup I will drop it down a tad and see if that helps.

PS i've replaced nearly every suspension/steering component in the front end.

I've been struggling with this same issue, but more of a vibration through the floor at 70-80 MPH for a long minute now (1 year) and still haven't been able to figure it out.

Getting an alignment seems to help, but not entirely. And then after 2 or 3 trailing trips I seem to knock the alignment out and the vibration is back. What's weird is that its very intermittent. Sometimes it will shake at 75, sometimes it will be smooth as butter.

At this point, I just chalk it up to how high my lift in the front is and the angle of the driveshaft. Once I put on some 285s from my current 265 setup I will drop it down a tad and see if that helps.

PS i've replaced nearly every suspension/steering component in the front end.
how are your rack bushings?

Just a thought. You said you "- Set rear control arms (upper and lower) at approx 3/8" over stock length". I believe the consensus is to extend the lowers and "bring in" the uppers (so 3/8" more for lowers and I forgot the amount, but say it's 3/8" LESS for the uppers). Figured it was worth bringing up.

Any solutions for your vibration?

i have vibration at 70 mph But only developed after (158k miles on truck) 10k miles / 1 yr on 1.5“ Ome lift with slee diff drop. 866 springs. Proper rake. initially lift was firm but very smooth. Loves weight in the back.

I remember the trip on Hwy and it just appeared a few months back and I initially thought tires. And it seems like it usually is 9 out of 10 times After reading more of forum.

inital set with lift cooper discovered rugged treks LT smooth for 8k miles. After vibration had rebalanced 3x different shops. No luck. Kept tires but switched out to continental terraincontacts LT for less aggressive tread hoping for smooth ride. little smoother but still vibrating at70 mph. New shop said they were out of round and rebalanced and reindexed them. This has helped, vibration is present at 80mph now but probably shouldn’t be going that fast anyway.

i was disappointed to hear the NEW tires were already out of round, but it could be all this terrible covid manufacturing quality control issues. not completely satisfied will try to reindex the coopers too on another set of wheels to see if there is any improvement.

Any solutions for your vibration?

i have vibration at 70 mph But only developed after (158k miles on truck) 10k miles / 1 yr on 1.5“ Ome lift with slee diff drop. 866 springs. Proper rake. initially lift was firm but very smooth. Loves weight in the back.

I remember the trip on Hwy and it just appeared a few months back and I initially thought tires. And it seems like it usually is 9 out of 10 times After reading more of forum.

inital set with lift cooper discovered rugged treks LT smooth for 8k miles. After vibration had rebalanced 3x different shops. No luck. Kept tires but switched out to continental terraincontacts LT for less aggressive tread hoping for smooth ride. little smoother but still vibrating at70 mph. New shop said they were out of round and rebalanced and reindexed them. This has helped, vibration is present at 80mph now but probably shouldn’t be going that fast anyway.

i was disappointed to hear the NEW tires were already out of round, but it could be all this terrible covid manufacturing quality control issues. not completely satisfied will try to reindex the coopers too on another set of wheels to see if there is any improvement.
I have a very similar vibration that comes on at 72 ish. I too have done almost everything I can think of to fix. Will follow your journey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom