Driveline Clunk (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have you drained the tranny and Xfer case to see if there is metal in there?

Yes. See post #1.

Drained both a few days before the initial post in this thread, and a few days before I heard the clunk again. Everything looked fine. A previous owner had both rebuilt, but it was somewhat recently (within the last 3 or 4 years) and probably only 1-2 thousand miles ago.

Yes. See post #1.

Drained both a few days before the initial post in this thread, and a few days before I heard the clunk again. Everything looked fine. A previous owner had both rebuilt, but it was somewhat recently (within the last 3 or 4 years) and probably only 1-2 thousand miles ago.
Sorry, missed it in my hasty scan.

Is there a particular gear that the niose is apparent first, top or reverse? Check for any noise/ drag with the rear off the ground at the parking brake drum. Wouldn't recommend pulling up whilst travelling at high speed.

Is there a particular gear that the noise is apparent first, top or reverse? Check if any drag/noise at the parking brake while rotating rear wheel. Are you going around corner when noise is there - could be sun and side gears in rear diff. Ar there any mark on tyres and are they not scrubbing up against drag link ( frontaxle). Is there less or more noise with the clutch pedal engaged or depressed? Is there any chirping of tyres when noise is there?
Any photos??

Is there a particular gear that the noise is apparent first, top or reverse? Check if any drag/noise at the parking brake while rotating rear wheel. Are you going around corner when noise is there - could be sun and side gears in rear diff. Ar there any mark on tyres and are they not scrubbing up against drag link ( frontaxle). Is there less or more noise with the clutch pedal engaged or depressed? Is there any chirping of tyres when noise is there?
Any photos??

Makes the noise in any forward gear, although I didn't try reverse. Noise is there whether I am going straight or around a corner, but seemed louder on the night in question when I made a slow left hand turn.

I think the noise was the same with or without the clutch pedal engaged. Tires don't chirp, but I definitely feel a little drag in the driveline every time I hear the clunk.

Not sure if photos would do any good. Everything looks just fine underneath. If there's anything in particular that would be useful, however, I can snap a few.

The main problem I have in diagnosing the problem is that it's only made the clunk on two occassions, both after really long drives, and both of those times it had been at night when it's dark out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom