Drive train re-vamp (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for ideas to change out drive train in my 76 fj-40 to get some sort've overdrive. Rig used mostly to go to work 45 round trip miles w/highway travel needed. Would like to use for more weekend offroading when time allows as well.

Current: chevy sm/sm-420/4-speed LC transfer case. 65mph roughly 2600 rpm.

700r4 w/ Downey 1" adapter ?
nv4500
Australian 5speed
ranger overdrive
Other?

I have been searching but would appreciate any opinions or web links?

Max target budget $5000 TIA

Last edited:
NV4500 swap and you should be good to go.

If you can do the work yourself, you will come in well under 5K.

Good luck!

-Steve

do you have a lift ? what about larger tires to bring down the RPM;s a bit. just a thought, i myself would like to go automatic (700R4) for daily stuff and 4 wheelin too. just ease of driving and i am getting older (LOL)

The rig is SOA w/ 35's stock gear ratios in the pumpkins.

Looking at the Nv4500, is the chevy bellhousing that the tranny came behind harder to swap or something as AA offers bellhousing and transfer case adapter to install the swap?

And I am not able to find much info on the Downey 1" thick 700r adapter information, on the surface to me it seems the shorter the adapter the better, considering my wheelbase is limited. I too have come to appreciate auto's in my older years. But perhaps there is some amount of 'anti-theft' built into manual tranny's because many drivers have never used one?

I know the 5g's sounds like alot, but I would like this to cover everything to get it rolling again, drive shaft changes, misc, etc.
I do read the storys of the great scores on $$ type items, but I do not seem to posses this sort've luck..

you should be able to find a tranny and a flywheel housing from a chev in a yard, otherwise, you can purchase the stuff from AA. They simply offer it for people that do not want to go searching....and they make them for the Toyota 6 also...You will need a nv4500 to 16 spline tcase adapter from them...

you should not have any problem staying under 5K.

Hi All:

What gear ratio does the diffs run? 4.11s?

How about bolting-up a pair of 3.7. ratio third members for $250? You got the SM420 for slow-speed work.

HTH.

Alan
Seattle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom