Drive Train Issue - FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dannyvp

SILVER Star
Threads
92 fj80 3fe no drivetrain upgrades that i know of.
Front passenger tire locked up on my son on the way home from school.
When i pulled the tire off , removed the caliper the tire would not free spin when off the ground.
Started the truck, placed in neutral and the tire started spinning. Placed the truck in drive and the tire started spinning 3 times faster, no gas being applied.
When we placed the truck in park it grinded down to stop.

Ideas on what the problem is?

92 fj80 3fe no drivetrain upgrades that i know of.
Front passenger tire locked up on my son on the way home from school.
When i pulled the tire off , removed the caliper the tire would not free spin when off the ground.
Started the truck, placed in neutral and the tire started spinning. Placed the truck in drive and the tire started spinning 3 times faster, no gas being applied.
When we placed the truck in park it grinded down to stop.

Ideas on what the problem is?
Was the caliper seized?

Is the truck in low range on the transfer case?

Did the caliper come loose and gouge the wheel?

Caliper seemed fine. Had him press the brakes a few times and it was working.
Didn’t hear it dragging on the rotor. Rotor nor pads are ate up.
Do not know about low range. I’ll have Togo look.

removed the caliper the tire would not free spin when off the ground.

You had to remove the tire to remove the caliper. Did you put it back on? Or are you saying the rotor wouldn't spin with the caliper removed?

You really want to isolate the front end. Got lockers or a CDL switch? You could use them to help diagnose. If not, and it's a US-spec, the center diff will be locked if it's in low range. The light should be on on the dash. I think you can check the light by switching on but not starting the engine.

OTOH, if the center diff was locked, you wouldn't be able to put it in gear with one wheel off the ground. It would drive off the jack.

With one wheel off the ground and no diffs locked, the 3x wheel speed in gear is normal. Spinning in neutral is also pretty normal as the torque converter isn't a clutch. Some power will pass through it and the clutch packs in the tranny.

Caliper is off the rotor and it will not spin. Moves maybe an inch or so.
Caliper appears to be bad, one piston is sticking out 3 times further than the other ones and leaking fluid.

Gear is in High Range.
Center Diff is off.

It was probably sticky, which heated up the fluid and when you pulled it off the hot fluid pushed out the piston. Wasn't the rotor also roasty AF? Seems like you would have noticed. Even the wheel would have been warm, at least.

When was the last time you changed the fluid? How many miles?

It’s been sitting a few days waiting on me to get back to look at it.
I assumed calipers, I just want to make sure everything else is working as it should.

@dannyvp

In order for the wheel to rotate with only that wheel in the air the transfer case needs to be be shifted to Neutral. Observations posted with the engine running/transmission shifted into gear would be perfectly normal but doesn't rule out problems with the front differiental.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom