drive train "CLUNK", rolling stop & start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
'97 LX450 (101,000 miles) ....At times, when rolling to a stop, I hear a "clunk" as I creep to a stop from .0001 speed to 0.0 speed. More commonly, I hear it as I accelerate from a stop.....For what its worth, the axle oil seals rebuilt at 80k. I had an admittedly subject mechanic inspect U-joints recently. Supposedly OK. Additionally, (a whole other can of worms), it seams as though my stering has slack in it since the dealer oil seal rebuild. Any ideas on the clunk and the slack?

thanks. out of curiosity, how may miles are we talking about you have hear it. Believe me; I'll ride it out. i image it is expensive.

I've heard it off and on for over 100,000 miles. I've also heard and felt it in other LC's I have driven. You will learn to love the clunk. It is just slop in the drive train that is normal, for LC's with 30,000 miles and 200,000 miles.

I believe this problem was address on another thread about a month ago. The recommended fix was to make sure the drive shafts are properly greased......... that would be an easy fix if that is in deed the problem. Lots of luck with it...

Wayne S

Willie,
Grease the U-joints and the slip yoke frequently and the noise will lessen. As pit stated, most Cruisers have the clunk. Mine is a '97 with 129k miles and it clunks between DS lubes.

Don't overgrease the slip yoke... stop pumping when it begins to move.
-B-

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=9003;start=msg78394#msg78394 date=1071951324]

Don't overgrease the slip yoke... stop pumping when it begins to move.
-B-
[/quote]

That's assuming it's on the ground. If you fill 'er up when it's in the air won't it be rather overfilled?

Yea, I've got that real light clunk too, and i've got 132k. I dont think its has anythign to do with the grease. I grease my shaft regularly and it still clunks. :flipoff2: :D :D. my fix for it is the volume knob. just turn it up and woah, look at that, I cant hear the clunk anymore. :D

[quote author=Mr.Bryan link=board=2;threadid=9003;start=msg78731#msg78731 date=1072044512]
I grease my shaft regularly and it still clunks. :flipoff2: :D :D
[/quote]

You must have a real small short shaft, is it OEM? :slap:

If I stop at Neutral when shifting from R to D (or D to R) mine doesn't clunk. Otherwise I follow Mr. Bryan's advice and turn up the volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom