1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drive shaft vibes...

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by TJDIV, Feb 6, 2004.

1. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    Got a drive shaft vibration from the latest "hack and tack" on the 40. Turns out the rear end vibe wasn't the only problem. Now the drive shaft has a lope in it (balance).

My Question: Any idea why I'd have a vibration in park? Torque Converter? I've changed it out twice..(first one was the wrong converter).

Anyway. I'm trying to remain [glow=red,2,300]patient[/glow] and finish this last f*ckin' project on the Cruiser. I've been putting of the Wagon until this is done on the 40, but damn.

Any other vibration ideas? Motor mounts are fine; motor is fine; tranny is new; axles are new; brakes are new; wheels, new; tires, new; drive shaft, short and custom......

any help would be great. :-\ Tom IV

2. Landpimp

Landpimp

YOu running a SBC and auto? ya must be if your talking torque converter. But.......and I don't know crap about SBC's but don't they have something called a harmonic balancer? maybe this is toast.....I honestly don't know.....

Maybe your not running on all the cylinders? bad plug or plug wire or something..

So it vibrates in ONLY park? not nutral or drive or at speed or?

I'm just tossing stuff out.....

3. TonkaC

TonkaC

did you replace the flex plate? check it to make sure you didn't knock a weight off.

4. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Or that it is not cracked. Is this vibration steady, or does it change with RPM(more intense/less intense?)

Is there any chance that a component in the drivetrain is touching the body creating this harmonic?

5. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    I will check the flex plate tomorrow. Yes, I'm running a 350 to 700R4. Balancer is fine. The engine, actually, is perfect; it runs awesome and sounds incredible. That's the one thing that keeps me going on this, is that I know the engine set-up is as good as I'll find anywhere.

We'll see. This is pissing me off.

6. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    course, the driveshaft components are in phase, correcto?