Drive shaft throwing off grease, overfill or something wrong? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I haven't crawled under in about 5k miles, got under there today and saw this. Is this simply the mechanic overfilling when he checked the slip yoke or is there something wrong here? How would I know?

IMG_6847.jpeg

I see that as a good thing as it means grease has been put where it should be. Likely the driveshaft compressed under a bit of articulation at some point after being lubed and pushed out a good bead of grease that no longer fit in the then compressed slip joint. Upon re entering the highway it slung and you got what you have there.

All of my vehicles that are regularly greased look like this. If the driveshaft is too near the cats (like on my discovery 2), you get to smell burning grease for the first 500 miles after a good U-joint service.

Are your u-joints serviceable? From the picture it looks like it's about time to re-service both the U-joint and the shaft.

I see that as a good thing as it means grease has been put where it should be. Likely the driveshaft compressed under a bit of articulation at some point after being lubed and pushed out a good bead of grease that no longer fit in the then compressed slip joint. Upon re entering the highway it slung and you got what you have there.

^^^^^

Exactly Right.

This happens every time I lube either one of our vehicles. Invariably some grease gets slung onto an exhaust pipe and makes a burning oil smell for a day or so. Wifey always complains about that. I just smile.

All is good.

The burning smell is the joy of a properly greased slip/ U joints ;)

I use a product from Lucas Oil that is designed for heavy-duty use, ie bulldozers, front loaders, etc. It is designed so it will not be flung like the regular stuff. Never had any issues since using it.

lucas oil .jpg

I use a product from Lucas Oil that is designed for heavy-duty use, ie bulldozers, front loaders, etc. It is designed so it will not be flung like the regular stuff. Never had any issues since using it.

View attachment 2638751

Hah....I use that to lube the shell casings when resizing my 458 SOCOM brass. Good stuff.

You want a moly fortified grease for the slip yolks, something like Valvoline Palladium with 3% Molybdenum.

View attachment 2638751
Isn't the consistency spec'd by the NLGI #2? All #2s will fling similarly, not enough to change at the centrifugal forces of a spinning driveshaft. Flinging would be the last thing you should worry about. Just clean up real well after greasing and you're good to go.

Isn't the consistency spec'd by the NLGI #2? All #2s will fling similarly, not enough to change at the centrifugal forces of a spinning driveshaft. Flinging would be the last thing you should worry about. Just clean up real well after greasing and you're good to go.

But since using it I haven't had any of this grease sling out. I cleaned the previous stuff off just to be sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom