drive shaft nuts and bolts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

workingdog

GOLD Star
Threads
My 60 plus year old nuts and lock washers are not longer holding for more than a couple weeks. So, I was planning on going down and getting some Grade 8 bolts and nylocks. But then I saw a thread where someone said it was important to use OEM.

My question is: Why would it be important to use OEM for the drive shaft flange bolts? What's wrong with just using grade 8, fine thread bolts and new nylocks?

Peter

something else is wrong if mechanical fasteners are working loose.
from the sounds of it, with the history of loose prop shaft bolts, the holes are wobbled out in either or both of the pinion flange or prop flange.

The shank of the bolt is a larger diameter to fit the holes tighter in the flanges.

Ahhh, they are not normal bolts

Also they have a finer thread pitch, increasing the clamping force between the flanges.

I faced the same problem on my HJ45 and FJ75. The bolts are 11mm diameter and not standard size 10mm diameter. OE is the ONLY way to go. Also check the holes in the flanges for wear.

As stated above if the nuts are getting loose in a short period of time something else is wrong.

As far as the need for oem and the bolts being special.......I have had the same 7/16-20 grade 8 capscrews,nuts and lockwashers holding my flanges together just fine for thousands of miles with zero issues.

The flange faces are aligned via the coencentric rabbet (for lack of a better term) on the face of the flange more so than by the bolts holding the flanges together :meh:

Last edited:
I've ordered a set, but put the 7/16 in for now.

I got a set of stock bolts. What is on my FJ40 is definitely not stock. They came with just regular washers, not lock washers, should I use/not use lock washers? Should I use nylocks?

When I went to American Toyota to order some replacement bolts/nuts/washers to replace some missing from my '76 FJ40 front driveshaft I had the three separate part numbers on my list. Cdan quickly pointed out that the hardware comes in kit form - one bolt, one nut, and one washer, all under one part number. Just an example of the service you get from a knowledgable factory parts expert.

Last edited:
When I went to American Toyota to order some replacement bolts/nuts/washers to replace some missing from my '76 FJ40 front driveshaft I had the three separate part numbers on my list. Cdan quickly pointed out that the hardware comes in kit form - one bolt, one nut, and one washer, all under one part number. Just an example of the service you get from a knowledgable factory parts expert.

90105-11H00 for the 11mm bolts, nuts and washers, one of each. They come pre-coated with thread locker too.

Yes, I GET THAT. But they came without lock washers - they just had plain washers. Is that correct? Seems like there should be lock washers.

Earlier 10mm bolts had split lock washers.

Toyota then changed them when they went to the 11m bolts to flat washers. You are fine if you use the Toyota stuff.

Thanks Beno. It just seems wrong. Any reason not to go ahead and use nylocks?

90105-11H00 for the 11mm bolts, nuts and washers, one of each. They come pre-coated with thread locker too.

Any Idea if the Driveshaft nuts can be purchased separately? Somehow my parking brake drum studs must have been converted to 11mm.

Thanks

Nylocks are pretty tall nuts. There is a distinct possibility that they could impact the yoke..

Any Idea if the Driveshaft nuts can be purchased separately? Somehow my parking brake drum studs must have been converted to 11mm.

Thanks
90179-11005 '81 and later FJ40, FJ60, FJ62

Reactions: SMG
I would not use anything but OEM components when available for something as important as driveline hardware.

Do what you want.

What this guy said. And I'm not saying it because I've bought parts from him.

PcgmgCo.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom