Drive shaft length problem - 3spd to 4spd (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
69 FJ40 with the original F engine rebuilt. I swapped a in a 4spd trans on which the transfer case dates as a 7/78-7/80. I went with all the info I could find on here and got a set of 4spd drive shafts. Even with swapping out the yoke ends of the 3spd shafts they are not close to fitting. The rear shaft is looking to be at least an inch to long even at full compression and the front shaft is looking about 2-3" to short. Any suggestions where I am going wrong?

In pics the 3spd shafts are on the top and 4spd on bottom.

005.JPG

006.JPG

008.JPG

i have a 69 fj40 with a 4 speed and used the stock 4 speed shafts , maybey your springs are in backwards ?

I questioned that on the rear. I put an OME kit on it and placed the rear springs with the short side forward as instructed. If I switched them there would be no way the shocks would line up. This might make me nuts.

The OME springs don't fit well, especially the rears. It may be necessary to remove the grease fitting to allow fully compressing the d-shaft slip yoke completely together, then compressing the rear suspension to move the axle backwards, and possibly loosening the axle u-bolts to scooch the axle backwards a little. Once it's all back together and there is weight on the truck, it will almost fit right.
Fawking OME springs...

PS: dunno why the front shaft is so far off. Probably not the correct d-shaft, possibly from a 55 or a 60?

Why not get the original shafts shortened and lengthened? I'm one wrong bearing away from that step my self.

after looking at the photo again i dont believe those are the right d shafts .if i remmeber i will measure a set of stock ones for you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom