Drive shaft gone from quiet to making 'clunk' noise after grease (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, so I now when I go from Reverse to Drive, noticable clunk noise that wasn't there before.

Really questioning why there are youtube video's out there saying 50 pumps is ok etc. It forces the inner tubes out and they don't return

I've put a pen tip on the back yoke zerk and bled grease til its stopped, letting a fair bit out. Then taken it for a spin , come back and bled a little more out of it. Seems to have returned a fair bit.

Front slip yoke is a different story, it's been pushed out quite a bit. , isn't budging and and removed the zerk , grease is just sitting there in the hole. The noise sounds like it is coming from the front.

What's the best way to go about fixing this now ? Take front shaft off completely? take out yoke and grease correctly then return? how hard of a job is it , what tools etc

Front Before and now
97974615_180885046493627_1244455216259006464_n.jpg
98145387_236820377746686_7177577546383360_n.jpg

Rear before and now
97931049_536442277040405_4773033525827862528_n.jpg
98599759_568500533682625_3808588328769421312_n.jpg

Where it currently is @

You need to pump grease till you see the shaft start extending. Removing it isn't a big deal, just put match marks on everything so you put it back the same way. Can be done with simple hand tools (12 or 10mm?)
Which wheels need to spin all of them I guess?

You have too much grease from the looks of it.

Remove the grease zerk and let suspension settle, wipe off extra grease that comes out. Go for a very short drive with grease zerk out (just enough to get suspension to articulate a little). Clean everything up and put grease zerk back in.

Drive it and see if clunk is gone.

You do not need to remove the driveshaft.

As stated above, remove the zerk completely and drive around, go over dips and bumps or even a curb to let the yoke expand and contract. Too much grease might not allow it to slip/slide and could damage the transfer case. That is a myth anyways, not sure if it's been confirmed, i'd imagine grease would just ooze out of the seal if that's the case. Anywho, try that and report back.

Also make sure the vehicle is at normal ride height(LX470) and flat on ground. Not jacked up or on ramps

As stated above, remove the zerk completely and drive around, go over dips and bumps or even a curb to let the yoke expand and contract. Too much grease might not allow it to slip/slide and could damage the transfer case. That is a myth anyways, not sure if it's been confirmed, i'd imagine grease would just ooze out of the seal if that's the case. Anywho, try that and report back.

Went outside just then 10pm where I am, removed both yoke zerkz and will let it sit overnight.

More grease came out the back yoke probably 3/4 teapspoon. First time I removed that zerk tho. I'll see what happens, take it for a short drive tommorrow and report back. Cheers I was stressing about how to approach this but great to have some people chime in

No for 50 pumps. That's way too much for the slip joint.
Do exactly FxFormat said. I do it if I feel like I added too much.

If you have a IFS then front is not an issue, the length varience between the diff and transfercase is nearly zero, however, rear is the issue. Don't fill it too much. If I remember correctly, there should be a ooze point at the back of the joint.

Because it’s YouTube and anyone can post anything.
Would have left it , if it wasn't for some idiot stating from the manual that it needs to be greased until can see grease past the points.
1589759328161.png

100% this dudes car would have been clunking around. No comment underneath about it and he's happy to leave it up. :bang:

New axle seals will probably be far more pliable and spit grease. Old axles don't clear grease well.

I add three to four pumps every 5k miles. I've pulled my driveshaft a few times for other things and it always is well greased.

So took it for a drive over some hills, then back again down same track. Went over some rather large speed humps going up hill at slow-medium speeds, 4 humps (2 humps just back-forth again) total. There is obvious grease marks in both yokes. indicating it had moved. Also, strange sound contraction or expansion? posted vid for listen.
Front:
1589768081891.png

Back w/ video:
1589768140211.png

So that's how it went , wonder what the sound is indication of. No grease seems to be coming out also

Last edited:
So took it for a drive over some hills, then back again down same track. Went over some rather large speed humps going up hill at slow-medium speeds, 4 humps (2 humps just back-forth again) total. There is obvious grease marks in both yokes. indicating it had moved. Also, strange sound contraction or expansion? posted vid for listen.
Front:
View attachment 2310025
Back w/ video:
View attachment 2310031

So that's how it went , wonder what the sound is indication of. No grease seems to be coming out also

No idea about the sound but good that you've got grease showing through the seal. Put another few pumps of grease in there and close them up, should be good for the next 5k or so.

No idea about the sound but good that you've got grease showing through the seal. Put another few pumps of grease in there and close them up, should be good for the next 5k or so.
I didn't even regrease them. Took it for a drive to pick wifey up from work seemed fine. The odd sound.
Figure I could take them off again and go back over those same speed humps again.
By 5K you mean until another regrease ? hopefully :) I am tempted to get some wheel stands tho and take it off , clean, lube correctly then put back with correct torque. Seems easy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom