drive shaft end play (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi everyone i have a 1967 fj40 3 " lift sua with fliped springs its time to get a drive shaft made for it how much spline should be showing at ride its going to be d d mild wheeler hight thanks for your input

ask the driveshaft shop that's going to build or modify your DS exactly what measurements they require. Most will just want to know the flange-to-flange dimension. A fool-proof way is to take the truck to them and have them mesure it. That way if it's wrong it's their fault.

If you are doing it yourself you want enough spline engagement so it won't bottom on full suspension compression or come apart on full droop.

lots of people make or modify their own front driveshafts when they are used infrequently at low speeds.

I can hold my own in the welding, fab and creativity departments but I would NEVER consider doing my own rear DS. Not if I ever wanted to be happy with it anyway.

so how does he plan to spin balance it?

do you take your own food to the restaurant and have them cook and serve it to you?

I'm just playing with ya. Surprises me they have no problem with it....

I must have had bad luck in the past because more often than not I have had to re-remove them and take back to be re-balanced...and that's paying a driveline shop that's supposed to know what they're doing. I'm sending my next one to you Jake!

nice!:grinpimp:

i've only done it once and maybe i got lucky ,i spun it around bit by bit as i welded it using a dial indicator making sure it was dead straight. took my time and all seemed to turn out fine. . i found a guy local to me who will do it for $40 bucks cash so i don't bother wasting my time anymore.. he does a good job

:cheers:

he should be able to balance nd true it up with a dial gauge on a laith....apperently the old school way of balancing was with a torch, hammer and dial gauge...(i say apperently i have not see it done, pretty sure its long before my time)....however if you search around there are guys who have made their own shafts both front and rear...nd been happy with them. check pirate out as well for how to do ur own shaft...

I did my own rear, and I'm NOT an awesome welder/fabricater. Afterwards I took it into a d-line shop (was $50 just to balance it, lengthening/shortening was another $100 on top of that, which is why I did it myself) and they checked the shaft and said it balanced up nice and seemed solid. I've been driving it ever since w/o vibrations or problems.

It's do-able, just need to be careful and do it right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom