drive shaft brake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did some designing this morning for a disk drive shaft brake. Thought I would post pic and get comments, questions, feedback, etc....
I have a wilwood caliper and would need to mount for that, I would also need to mount a small master cylinder and convert stock parking brake lever to accuate.

Steve

What is the reason of hydro over mechanical?

Willwood makes small mechanical units....All pro was selling this for the mini's for a while.... I know a guy that installed it on his 60 after some work...

http://www.allprooffroad.com/brake.html

Seems to work fine being mechanical...I guess the cost and hassel to make it hydro would not be worth my time..

Let me know when you get these done...I will take a few without holes for the driveshaft...

Thanks!

-Steve

I didn't realize they had a mechanical model, need to do more homework. A friend had the hydro model he let me have, before that I knew nothing of them. ::)

major dia is 7", do you think we'll have any clearance issues?

What is the largest diameter of the original parking brake drum? I am at home, not at the shop. I am going out there shortly..

-Steve

E-brake is supposed to be mechanical according to motor vehicle requirements. That way if hydraulics fail you have a mechanical back-up. Personally I think it is stupid but I don't make the rules. Most places don't do a tight enough inspection to even notice if the E-brake even works let alone see if it is mech or not.

The drum is over 7" while the backing plate is around 8" so if your skid plate clears with a drum your disc design should be no problem. You may want to make the disc a seperate part from the drive flange so it could be changed or replaced. If the disc had the large and the small bolt it would fit a wider variety of vehicles for the same cost of manufacturing. The original drum can be machined down to make the drive flange and disc can be bolted to it.

yeah, I planned on making two piece. You don't want to waste the time turing that thing out of a solid 7" hunk of steel. Then, if you ever need to replace, just drop the drive shaft and remove 4 bolts.
I checked my drum to be about 7 1/2" diameter. there souldn't be any clearance issues. now, how wants one? get enough orders and i'll fire up the Daewoo and start spitting them out.
What would you be willing to pay for such a slick part as this???

So the rotor is one piece, and the hub is another, and the driveshaft bolts hold the whole mess together, right?

10 bucks....hows that?

Oh, and I do not want a bolt pattern set in mine...

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=11009;start=msg99099#msg99099 date=1075920591]
So the rotor is one piece, and the hub is another, and the driveshaft bolts hold the whole mess together, right?[/quote]

actually the disk would mount to the flange with seperate bolts, this would be the easiest way.

i'll have to charge you extra poser for removing holes, just for the trouble. ;)
maybe you'd pay 11?

[quote author=tewlman link=board=1;threadid=11009;start=msg99105#msg99105 date=1075921061]
actually the disk would mount to the flange with seperate bolts, this would be the easiest way.

i'll have to charge you extra poser for removing holes, just for the trouble. ;)
maybe you'd pay 11?
[/quote]

Only if it includes shipping, and EVERYTHING ELSE that I am going to need for install... :D

Let me know!!!

-Steve

Geez, dude. You want him to install it for ya too? ;)

i'll send all my tools too so you won't need those either. ;)

[quote author=tewlman link=board=1;threadid=11009;start=msg99155#msg99155 date=1075925247]
i'll send all my tools too so you won't need those either. ;)
[/quote]

Hurry up!!!!

50th post yeah!!!! ballons and confetti.....

that sucks....still says i'm a rookie.

I guess once a rookie, always a rookie :(

i'll take one if you are making a big run. my parking brake is dick

I would be interested too. Especially at $10, haha.

poser wanted all hardware, freight and use of my tools for the $10, but I insisted on $11.
He gives new meaning to the term tight!
At this rate i'll be rich off these in no time. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom