Drive->Reverse Clunk...bad CV/front axle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For the budget minded: If axle teeth are in fair condition and CV & boots are good, you can swap drive shafts from one side to the other. This put's best teeth surface in direction of drive. Then just replace the wheel hub flange. @ ~$50 ea for new OEM's.

Could you just swap the flanges? Seems easier and still accomplishes the same thing (at least in my novice mind.)

Do not remove control arm from frame. You can just take cotter key out of nut of upper ball joint and release it with a puller, and swing knuckle out of way. On driver side, you'll need to disconnect TRE connecting arms two bolts. Note: You must use thread sealer on those bolts during install.
A second way is to remove the knuckle. If you have the wheel hub off to do wheel bearing, that easy way. You can also clean, inspect and grease your axle bearing & bushing easily then.

Look at some of my threads in my signture. In this one you'll find an index in OP. Follow to area of interest. Scored a 2007 Unicorn. The holy grail of 100 series.

Could you just swap the flanges? Seems easier and still accomplishes the same thing (at least in my novice mind.)
Yes. But either has very minimal benefit.

Replacing hub flange really is the better option for $50 a side.

New front drive shaft, new hub flange and all new cones washers (all OEM) is SO SWEET! So Worthwhile. $1K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom