Drive it with the HG going?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay I'm interested in the arguments for and against driving with a known head gasket leak. I'm almost 100% certain the HG is going on my rig (see my posts on this), but I've read threads where guys have just kept driving it until it really goes. Is there any serious risk in doing this besides potentially getting stranded?

What makes you think it's going?

If you are experiencing foamy oil, I would NOT drive it because you are destroying the viscosity and lubricity of the oil that is running through all of your bearings inside the engine. You will junk your crank bearings if pushed too far. If the oil is foamy or milky, don't do it. Air or antifreeze does not lubricate well.

The cylinder walls will also be damaged in such a case.

im in the same boat, just recently purchased my 97 ..taking it in to get the headgasket replaced tomorrow

@Harry Centeno
What's a head gasket job cost? Are you having all the valves checked/adjusted as well?

I know you guys are right. I'm like a kid on Christmas morning. I want to play with my new toy. Okay the HG replacement begins tomorrow. Wish me luck. Photos etc in my original post to document the process. Thanks for the input.

Does your oil really look like chocolate milk? The little sample I saw on the head and under the oil filler cap (which really means nothing BTW) may not necessarily mean you have a blown HG. Did you get a Blackstone oil analysis?

Many posts lately about bad H/G right after purchase. Fix It, So many things can be compromised as a result of continued driving. Try to find an experienced Mud member close that would be willing to go over all the necessary Issues that should be checked out, repaired, and fixed correctly. Good Luck.!

By the way you are all assuming the best in just a blown HG.
If you are in the 180K-200K range you might as well replace that head at $1,400 otherwise you could be going back in a day or maybe 5 years from now to replace a cracked head.
Where can you find a 1400 dollar head? Is it complete, new or is this just just prototypical find? I might be needing one in the very near future and need to get a source.

When I state that someone should replace their HG, that SHOULD automatically include having the head fully evaluated by a QUALIFIED machine shop. Checking valve seats, clearances, checking the head for flatnes, milling if necessary, pressure testing, crack checking (dye penetrant due to aluminum), replacing the valve stem seals, shimming the springs for proper valve seat pressure and travel, basically rebuilding the head. This should go without saying.

If someone decides to replace the HG without doing any of this, they are asking for trouble and they get what they deserve. There are those who live by the budget and want to shortcut the repair costs, that is essentially Russian Roulette with the work that is being completed. Just removing the head, scraping it clean, throwing a new gasket in it and retorquing is NOT a proper installation UNLESS it is to get it off the trail or there is some other dire need for it to happen that way. However, there are MANY paid mechanics that will do that and call it a complete HG job. Be wary what you are paying for.

Where can you find a 1400 dollar head? Is it complete, new or is this just just prototypical find? I might be needing one in the very near future and need to get a source.

I believe that was the price for a new head from Toyota. I would have to look at my receipt for the whole thing but I don't want to start drinking right now.

Oh and I think I got $17 for recycling the old cracked one. Whoopty Doo

I believe that was the price for a new head from Toyota. I would have to look at my receipt for the whole thing but I don't want to start drinking right now.

Oh and I think I got $17 for recycling the old cracked one. Whoopty Doo
Yeah mine is at the machine shop getting the hallelujah package right now so we will see. Got my fingers crossed. And it's always time to drink. You don't need an excuse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom