Drive IOWA Road Trip - DIRT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

overton

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.myfj40.com
Discover IOWA Road Trip

I'm thinking about planning the first "Discover IOWA Road Trip" or DIRT for short. The trip would be this summer or fall and I would like to see how many would be interested is spending a weekend to participate.

Here's my brief description.

We're going to take the Toyota's and hit the dirt roads that weave across our great state. Our destination for this weekend will be the Rural Treasures of NE Iowa's River Region. We would hope to visit Spillville, Decorah, Burr Oak, Lansing, McGregor, Guttenberg & Dyersville.

List of potential attractions.

Effigy Mounds National Monument
Worlds Smallest Church
Seed Savers Heritage Farm
Bily Clocks
Osborne Nature Center
Fenelon Place Elevator
Green's Sugar Bush
Verterheim
Field of Dreams
The Old Brewery
Keystone Bridge
and a few good little pubs and eatery's

So let me know if you would want to join in and if you vote for summer or fall (fall colors on the river)

Greg

Last edited:
Maquoketa Cave state park should be on the list. It's north of the quad cities and south of Dubuque.

It's an "on the way" or "on the way back" kinda stop. A few miles of hiking trails and some really cool caves.

DIRT

Great! We will add it to the list!

I'm making this up as I go along - It's like RAGBRAI for the very lazy who can't afford a whole week and like cooler weather. A chance to see our own State, put a caravan of Toyotas on the road and hang out with your fellow Land Cruiser enthusiasts.

The last thing we should add is a CAUSE for people to donate to. We might as well get a nickle or a dime for every mile we drive and donate it some worthy charity.

I smell a TT cover - a picture of a bunch of LC's parked on the Field of Dreams... is this heaven???

I vote fall - count me in.

Sounds like fun to me!

Can I get some clarification though? Is this (ala RAGBRAI) a drive across the state, or just one region of the state? Where would the 'start' be?

DIRT

Yes, I am in. Sounds like a blast. Last weekend of Oct. is booked for me. Don't know if I can make it clear across Iowa. Maybe half way. :beer:

Sounds like fun to me!

Can I get some clarification though? Is this (ala RAGBRAI) a drive across the state, or just one region of the state? Where would the 'start' be?

There is too much State to do it ALL in a weekend so I picked NE -

We would meet in some town like Cedar Rapids I guess and start from there.

Making this up as I go!
G.

DIRT

Just to clarify, I envision doing the whole state (or those portions worth visiting) over several years - I am picking NE to start with. Next year we could do SW or Loess Hills or some other area - but I am open to suggestions. I just thought there' only so much ground you can cover in a weekend -

G.

...The back roads are generally occupied by tractors and combines.

2F power will fit right in! Plus that would be fun to see for all the folks that will be coming in from the coasts and europe...

Last weekend of Oct. is booked for me...

Yea, was going to mention that pheasant season starts the last weekend in Oct so we probably want to stay well before that. Oct weather would be a toss up - might be 70 degrees, might be snowing. And it could do both in the same week.

Count me in. Sounds like fun.

Tony

"Discover Iowa Road Trip"

I've changed the name of "Drive Iowa Road Trip" to "Discover Iowa Road Trip" I'm looking at the first weekend in October. Participants can meet Friday night / Sat morning in the Cedar Falls / Waterloo area and begin from there.

Backbone is a nice park.

first pic is one of my back breaking catches last year

second is a buddy with proof that there are a few halfway decent fish there

sorry for the chat, but this thread needed some pics...
DSC02651 (Small).JPG
DSC02654 (2) (Small).JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom