Drive belt tensioner bolt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was putting on new belts today. Got them on and started tightening up the drive belts (for the alternator/water pump) and noticed that the outside belt was looser than the inside belt.

Started looking to see why and I noticed that the bolt for the tensioner was bent and when tightened to the length that it needed to be (for the belts to be tight). It was banged up against the engine (bent up is more like it.

211C64C0-2BDC-4F85-90C2-B83CEAE74ED7.jpeg

DBDB2E33-F1B0-49C1-ABC0-9642AF22C130.jpeg

I think that the bolt is too long (and bent) and is pushing the alternator out which is making the outside belt looser.

37B1881C-A9CB-4CE7-A63E-EA4E6AE92467.jpeg

2B8E92E1-9704-46E6-BAFD-0B883EA7204F.jpeg

Also, noticed that the securing nut is exactly behind the belts when the belts are tightened. Which makes it really hard to lock.

This may happen to a few people. I read a couple comments on wits end that people said they had bent bolts

At least you still have a bolt to work with, mine fell off out on the trail about 100 miles from home. I was really worried that both my belts would come off before i got to a hardware store causing my truck to overheat.

Once i got to the hardware store the next problem came up, you just can't by a bolt that long with threads all the way down the shank.

I ended up buying a 12 inch piece of metric all thread that i cut down, along with 2 nuts to make a makeshift "bolt" that worked until i could get the correct replacement from the dealership.

Just to make sure this never happens again, i bought 2 replacement bolts, one to bolt on, and an extra to go in my trucks tool box!

At least you still have a bolt to work with, mine fell off out on the trail about 100 miles from home. I was really worried that both my belts would come off before i got to a hardware store causing my truck to overheat.

Once i got to the hardware store the next problem came up, you just can't by a bolt that long with threads all the way down the shank.

I ended up buying a 12 inch piece of metric all thread that i cut down, along with 2 nuts to make a makeshift "bolt" that worked until i could get the correct replacement from the dealership.

Just to make sure this never happens again, i bought 2 replacement bolts, one to bolt on, and an extra to go in my trucks tool box!
I can’t believe that you made it to the store before dropping the belts :)

It looks like, while the bolt may be bent, the bracket isn't aligned. You can turn it a little before tightening the locking bolt, iirc. My bolt had a similar bend.

You’re correct. I didn’t notice that before...but that confirms that the bolt is too long. You actually can’t swivel it around because the bolt length aligns it (the angle is determined by the length of the bolt and due to the pushing against the engine).

I’m going to try to pick up another bolt. I just found this pic and look how much shorter it is than mine.

DBAEFA42-135A-4ADB-90DA-C6279DF08C78.png

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. I’ll post the length of the bolt in case anyone runs into this.

Can’t figure out how it happened. I’ve had the truck for 14 years.

Did you have your A/C tensioner bolt out? That looks like that bolt instead of the alternator bolt. The A/C tensioner bolt is about 1" longer.

Nope, two things happened.

I did something stupid (dumbass) on the first. I had the block upside down. Mine was at the bottom.

The second part was a little harder. After I figured out that the block was upside down, I reversed it and it was looking good. I was like...that was pretty dumbass but I’ve got it now :).

So, I put it all back together and started tightening up...still one of the drive belts was loose. I loosened it up and started feeling around. Everything felt fine. After a while of that, I started thinking are these the same belts?

Spun them around and looked at the number...different belts. The parts store gave me different belts. Here’s the crazy thing, the paper wrappers had the same belt number on the cardboard but different belts. Almost the exact same size, you could hardly tell the difference.

7A457EF4-E58D-4B23-9827-C25CF0A0F03C.jpeg

Oh wow, that sucks. It's the simple things sometimes (thankfully)

I discovered after I had driven my truck for 25K miles that my PO had lost the entire bracket and had cobbled together some bolts and such and there was no adjustment other than tightening the heck out of the bolts after prying on the alternator to get sorta tight.

Buy new brackets and bolts. It's worth it.

Now, I use a 14MM deep well socket on a ratchet and a 12mm ratcheting combination wrench, and I can tighten the belts easily and quickly.

16381-66030 BAR, FAN BELT ADJUSTING
90179-08040 NUT (FOR TRANSMISSION CONTROL CABLE) ACTUALLY FOR THE ALTERNATOR PIVOT MOUNT BOLT
91511-B0850 BOLT(FOR CYLINDER HEAD COVER) ACTUALLY FOR THE FRONT OF THE BRACKET
90107-08001 BOLT, HEX LOBUL ACTUALLY TO HOLD THEADJUSTER BLOCK TO THE ADJUSTER BRACKET
16385-17010 SLIDER, FAN BELT ADJUSTING
90119-08493 BOLT, W/WASHER ACTUALLY ADJUSTER BRACKET ADJUSTING BOLT

Belts are:
90916-02353 BELT, V(FOR FAN & ALTERNATOR) (SET OF TWO BELTS) ($7.47 at McGeorge)
99332-60910 BELT, V (COOLER COMPRESSOR TO CRANKSHAFT PULLEY), NO.1 ($7.44 at McGeorge)

1614055981201.png

I discovered after I had driven my truck for 25K miles that my PO had lost the entire bracket and had cobbled together some bolts and such and there was no adjustment other than tightening the heck out of the bolts after prying on the alternator to get sorta tight.

Buy new brackets and bolts. It's worth it.

Now, I use a 14MM deep well socket on a ratchet and a 12mm ratcheting combination wrench, and I can tighten the belts easily and quickly.

16381-66030 BAR, FAN BELT ADJUSTING
90179-08040 NUT (FOR TRANSMISSION CONTROL CABLE) ACTUALLY FOR THE ALTERNATOR PIVOT MOUNT BOLT
91511-B0850 BOLT(FOR CYLINDER HEAD COVER) ACTUALLY FOR THE FRONT OF THE BRACKET
90107-08001 BOLT, HEX LOBUL ACTUALLY TO HOLD THEADJUSTER BLOCK TO THE ADJUSTER BRACKET
16385-17010 SLIDER, FAN BELT ADJUSTING
90119-08493 BOLT, W/WASHER ACTUALLY ADJUSTER BRACKET ADJUSTING BOLT

Belts are:
90916-02353 BELT, V(FOR FAN & ALTERNATOR) (SET OF TWO BELTS) ($7.47 at McGeorge)
99332-60910 BELT, V (COOLER COMPRESSOR TO CRANKSHAFT PULLEY), NO.1 ($7.44 at McGeorge)

View attachment 2593730
Thanks for the great info. I'll definitely use it.

Nope, two things happened.

I did something stupid (dumbass) on the first. I had the block upside down. Mine was at the bottom.

The second part was a little harder. After I figured out that the block was upside down, I reversed it and it was looking good. I was like...that was pretty dumbass but I’ve got it now :).

So, I put it all back together and started tightening up...still one of the drive belts was loose. I loosened it up and started feeling around. Everything felt fine. After a while of that, I started thinking are these the same belts?

Spun them around and looked at the number...different belts. The parts store gave me different belts. Here’s the crazy thing, the paper wrappers had the same belt number on the cardboard but different belts. Almost the exact same size, you could hardly tell the difference.

View attachment 2593519

I've heard the reason why you should buy the factory Toyota belts is due to the fact they are made together in the same mold. Then they are parted, and packaged together as a matched pair. Being made this way both belts are exactly the same length. Unlike aftermarket belts, that may have the same part number, but can differ in length ever so slightly due to being made in different molds.

I've heard the reason why you should buy the factory Toyota belts is due to the fact they are made together in the same mold. Then they are parted, and packaged together as a matched pair. Being made this way both belts are exactly the same length. Unlike aftermarket belts, that may have the same part number, but can differ in length ever so slightly due to being made in different molds.

And they are usually about the same price. My two main OE belts were $14.00 shipped.

Ok, I got some OEM belts today and the fit perfectly. Same tightness when I tighten them up.

That leads me to another question:

How do we get these properly tensioned at home? I, of course don’t have any special equipment.

thanks for any advice.

Ok, I got some OEM belts today and the fit perfectly. Same tightness when I tighten them up.

That leads me to another question:

How do we get these properly tensioned at home? I, of course don’t have any special equipment.

thanks for any advice.
Tighten them until you can only push down about 3/16" on each belt with good pressure. These need to be much tighter than most every older vehicle I have owned.

I have yet to find a tensioner that fits and can properly adjust these.

You want about 1/2" of deflection when you push down on them with your finger (not having the FSM tension tool). Then tighten up again after a week or two.

You could also try a krikit tool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom