Drive Belt Noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All, I think my 100 is mad at me since I kicked it out of the garage a few weeks ago...

I was leaving work today and the change in tone from my engine caught my attention. I'm 90% confident it's coming from one of the tensioners/pulleys as it's pitch changes in the RPM range.

I don't know how to explain it, but it's not your typical chirping noise when a bearing is going out. This is more of a deep metallic resonating whine and it sounds like it's coming from the left side under the intake.

I think i'll just replace all the idlers and tensioner while i'm in there. How many bananas job and do I have to drain/remove the coolant hose? Anyone have a parts list or diagram of what all should be replaced?

Thanks all.

All righty... it's gotten louder and here's a video of it.

I did some probing with my extensions and I can feel some vibration coming from what looks like the tensioner pulley? Sounds like its gargling.

[video]

Absolutely perfect timing... I just put my diesel on jack stands to replace the intercooler. FML.

Another update; tried this tip:

And it worked perfectly. The alternator sounds almost exactly like the video.

Now, how do I know if I can get away with replacing the alternator pulley or doing the whole alternator?

Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 10.15.22 PM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom