Drive and tow without front drive shafts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had a little mishap last Saturday where I broke both front drive shafts, trying to climb a rutted hill.
Luckily I could winch myself up and when arriving at a level gravel roda, we managed to remove both drive shafts.
I drove home with the CDL engaged to get drive to the rear.
Is it safe to drive and tow on the highway in this way?
I received a qute for parts to rebuilt the drive hub excluding the shafts from Lexus: $922 AUD vs Amayama $362 AUD.
Downside for Amayama is that delivery isn't till end May.

Have you tried partsouq.com? A friend of mine in Canberra gets parts from them and said usually partsouq is faster. Get enew flanges to go with the new axles too!

You can drive in rear wheel drive as long as you are on paved roads. You won't believe here in the US we have ton of 4runners tacoma pickups, tundras, sequoias with rear wheel drive (never a 4x4). Be aware the handling will be different because you drove a AWD and not a rear wheel drive.

Thanks.
Yes I looked at Partsouq and they were $497 AUD but shipping costs were high.
Good to know that I can keep driving.

Will the CDL be fine when engaged for hours on highway speed?

This is the result.

Drive shaft.jpg

Nice work- snapped the stub ! On both sides the same way? “Crikey”

Hopefully you left the axles in and disconnected the prop shaft. Driving around with axles out and diff open to the elements will not be kind to your carrier bearings and gears.

We left the inboard axle in

Must be a bad-ass front diff to not go first, bouncing off the ruts. If you've OEM and inner CV good. Consider outboard shaft.
IMG_5858.JPEG

IMG_5860.JPEG

4346069145.jpg

Parts are ordered, the wait begins.

You won't hurt anything by leaving the CDL locked. It isn't constantly energised in the locked position. It just gets power to engage, or disengage. Power cycles off once it reaches either position.

I drove my manual 80 series like that for months. A little tail happy in the wet. Upside is less driveline slop :)

and probably better fuel economy in 2wd :)

The parts from Partsouq has arrived, 7 days after ordering from Dubai to Australia.
And still waiting for parts coming from Sydney to Perth.

You won't hurt anything by leaving the CDL locked. It isn't constantly energised in the locked position. It just gets power to engage, or disengage. Power cycles off once it reaches either position.

I drove my manual 80 series like that for months. A little tail happy in the wet. Upside is less driveline slop :)

Interesting. Didn't realize it worked like that.

Also good on you for snapping both LC axles. Must have been quite the hill.

I am still shocked that I couldn' get up that hill, while others were successfull.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom