Drip rails (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thinking about removing the drip rails on my FJ60 when I repaint it, because they promote rusting. Anyone do this, or have comments why it shouldn’t be done?

I don’t have the need for a roof rack, but I fear if/when I sell, it may negatively affect the value.

Just dig out old sealer clean, rust treat and re seam seal.. good for another 30+ years..

The drip rail isn't just tacked on to the body shell. The side panel stamping forms a lip at the rail, as does the roof skin. The outside edge of the drip rail is another flanged portion that slots in-between all three pieces of metal body section that are then spot welded together. You can remove it, but you'd need to do some figuring to make sure it's done in a way that's still strong.

The one or two trucks that have had their rain gutters shaved look weird to me, but that's more personal preference than anything.

The drip rail isn't just tacked on to the body shell. The side panel stamping forms a lip at the rail, as does the roof skin. The outside edge of the drip rail is another flanged portion that slots in-between all three pieces of metal body section that are then spot welded together. You can remove it, but you'd need to do some figuring to make sure it's done in a way that's still strong.

The one or two trucks that have had their rain gutters shaved look weird to me, but that's more personal preference than anything.
Really appreciate the advice. Sounds like removal is more of a pain than rust treatment & rehab. Good to know such professional advice exists. Cruise on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom