Drilling holes in frame rails--rustproofing needed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm about to drill some holes in my frome--in this case for a hitch--and I'm thinking that maybe I should be rustproofing the holes before installing the hitch. Is this recommended, and if so what should I be using--grease/oil, paint, something else?

Carpe Discus said:
I'm about to drill some holes in my frome--in this case for a hitch--and I'm thinking that maybe I should be rustproofing the holes before installing the hitch. Is this recommended, and if so what should I be using--grease/oil, paint, something else?

Spray some Rustoleum on the holes, the wait a day or 2 so it can dry. Then anti-sieze the heck out of the bolts, put the hitch on, and spray the entire underside of the truck with 90W. Seriously. It works.

lps 3 in the holes is fine. Buy it at napa. leaves a waxy film in there. Very corrosion proof.

KLF said:
Spray some Rustoleum on the holes, the wait a day or 2 so it can dry. Then anti-sieze the heck out of the bolts, put the hitch on, and spray the entire underside of the truck with 90W. Seriously. It works.

What're you using for a sprayer?

Call your local auto glass installers & ask if they use Sika adhesives. If they do, see if they have any extra primer sticks they'd like to get rid of.

They're a felt-tipped, plastic-encased glass vial of incredible black primer that sticks to bare metal like stink on you-know. They're used to prime bare metal areas below the windshield before application of urethane adhesive.

There's a box of 'em in each case of Ultrafast II urethane (can't get it without 'em) & no one in the drier areas of the country uses any at all.

Be careful while you're using them to keep it off your skin - won't wash off with the harshest solvents. It dries in 10 minutes.

I give 'em to all my friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom