1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drilling holes in frame rails--rustproofing needed?

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Carpe Discus, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Carpe Discus

Carpe Discus

I'm about to drill some holes in my frome--in this case for a hitch--and I'm thinking that maybe I should be rustproofing the holes before installing the hitch. Is this recommended, and if so what should I be using--grease/oil, paint, something else?

2. KLF

KLF Frame waxer SILVER Star

Spray some Rustoleum on the holes, the wait a day or 2 so it can dry. Then anti-sieze the heck out of the bolts, put the hitch on, and spray the entire underside of the truck with 90W. Seriously. It works.

3. brownbear

brownbear Mod in Hibernation Moderator

lps 3 in the holes is fine. Buy it at napa. leaves a waxy film in there. Very corrosion proof.

4. Spook50

Spook50 Get ready

What're you using for a sprayer?

5. Tinker

Tinker

Call your local auto glass installers & ask if they use Sika adhesives. If they do, see if they have any extra primer sticks they'd like to get rid of.

They're a felt-tipped, plastic-encased glass vial of incredible black primer that sticks to bare metal like stink on you-know. They're used to prime bare metal areas below the windshield before application of urethane adhesive.

There's a box of 'em in each case of Ultrafast II urethane (can't get it without 'em) & no one in the drier areas of the country uses any at all.

Be careful while you're using them to keep it off your skin - won't wash off with the harshest solvents. It dries in 10 minutes.

I give 'em to all my friends.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">