Drill sets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for a decent drill set (29 piece price range), right now trying to find an online source of a brand called 'Norseman' . Any cruiserheads with a web link or any other recommended brand, not uber expensive, but not Harbor freight either.
Thanks

I recently purchased a set from a local machine shop supply to replace my aging Cleveland set; they told me the new ones are better qual than Cleveland; not made in China...I think they are actually either Japan or USA steel. Anyway the name plate on the drill set metal box is Brubaker Tool, located in PA, 800-522-8665...maybe call them to see if they have a reseller in your area?

FYI: 64'ths through 1/2" plus 1-60 numbered and also letter drills. I have used about 10 of the sizes to date...works good. I think I paid $100...

I've got a Drill Doctor at home, and just purchased one for my Dad for fathers day....sharpened a few bits in his shop on Saturday, he was thrilled at how quick/easy it was....

check out msc-direct.com for their selection...I've been pleased with all the stuff I've purchased from them.

I would avoid the carbon stuff, and go with at least High speed steel (HSS). The Black oxide coating is fine. Any other material of coating and the price starts climbing really fast.

www.mcmaster.com has a number of sets, and also a short explanation of the different material, coating and bit angle types.

Just type "Norseman Drill bits" into the yahoo search line and take your pick of several suppliers. The company website will also appear with product descriptions and authorized dealer locations.

Second the positive comment about the 'Drill Doctor' - I've had mine for over two years and with a little polishing of technique I make any drill bit supersharp again. Splits points easily too. Good quality high speed steel drill bits are all that's necessary. I paid over $250. for my 129 bit set ten years ago and a few of them are just a little over 2" long from being reground so many times.

Stay away from the Hitatchi bits, I've had a few of those break on me...

I have a set of BM7 bits from a company called PAI in Cleveland, OH. Made in USA. Use slow speeed and will cut through a grade 8* bolt very easy. Awesome bits, one broke when I dropped drill and replaced it with Dewalt, but havent used yet.

Try a Snap-On tool guy. Not sure if the bits are actually Snap-On or not but they have nice sets including anything from a small set on up to Standard, Metric, Lettered and Numbered in one. They sell some really great cutting oil also and I have seen some of these bits about one quarter of the original length after sharpening over a 20 year period. Find a friendly Snap-On guy...stop the next time you see a truck stopped...not all of them are friendly but most are...and at least check out what they have to offer. I learned a lot just talking as my wallet stayed in my pocket.

got mine from snap on (blue point)
no need to pilot holes when going big
have'nt had to sharpen any yet and i've had them for prolly 10yrs
i have no idea what i paid, lots of bits, well worth it.
use oil when drilling metal to keep the bit cool.
this will extend the life of the bits,lots of oil!

The Harbor Freight and associated bits don't drill round holes. The larger HF ones (silver and Deming ie reduced shank) have shattered on me when dropped on concrete. Not good.

MSC sells a combo fraction, number and letter drill set in an index for $100 if you can catch it on sale, USA made.

Chicago-Latrobe sets are the best I have used. msc has them on sale every so often.

if you want decent, you can spend $100+

cutting fluid and slow speed (let the drill cut w/o pressing) and drill doctors become obsolete.

...oh the great tri chlor days...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom