• 4bt

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • 6.2/6.5 gm diesel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

He could tell you all about it because that's what his pig has!

Anything's better than a 2F. :flipoff2: I'd be inclined to stick with a straight 6 such as FZ or HZ if possible. Don't know how they would fit though.
Do you know if he ran an auto or manual with his 2uz?

I am sure they would fit someone crammed a 6bt under the hood 😁😁😁

I’m planning a TRD super-charged, coil-on-plug, 5.0l 1fz-fe with a h151f in one of the three.

I’m dropping a 1HD-FTE with the Gturbo “red wheel” turbo and a h151 in the 80, so the 74 might eventually get a similar setup. Can’t decide.
Those 1HD’s are nice unfortunately they are not cheap.

6bt would probably be a lot more popular if it weren’t for the fitament issues associated with the radiator, intercooler, and AC condenser.
And then there’s the weight of that beast.

Lots of cool engines out there to choose from, depending on what you’re doing with the rig. Some are more problematic than others. Some have lots of trade offs in one or more directions.
I’m currently into the LS engines for a variety of reasons. Power:weight ratio, serpentine belt setup with separate AC belt, distributor-less ignition, plentiful parts, aftermarket support, open programming, starter hangs on the outside like it should.
Cons include that they run hotter and generate more heat, require a high pressure fuel system, have all your potentially problematic electronic components, require some form of VSS setup, need additional hardware and plumbing for the cooling system.
Lots of guys have overcome the conversion hiccups and couldn’t be more happy with the results. Little wonder that they are replacing SBC’s as the new V8 go-to powerplant.
Definitely lots of good options. Figuring out what one wants to deal with in the long run is the hard part.

6bt would probably be a lot more popular if it weren’t for the fitament issues associated with the radiator, intercooler, and AC condenser.
And then there’s the weight of that beast.
Ya 1100lbs is a lot on a poor ol’ pig 😂😂😂

Debating on doing and engine swap in my 55. Just curious what others dream of swapping in their Pigs. So far I am heavily leaning to the 1uz.

What’s important to you in a dream engine? What kind of budget do you have? Do you plan to do the swap yourself and do you have the tools, shop and ability to do a sky’s the limit build?

I have a 4BT in one of my pigs and its really cool for all the same reasons riding an old Harley is cool and if that’s your thing then nothing else on your list will work but like an old Harley if you just need basic transportation it’s not your best option. Every time you park some dude is going walk over to you and start chatting you up and ask you to pop the hood, if you don’t like that kind of attention then a 4BT isn’t going to work for you.

I have an LS in my other pig an in my opinion today the LS is the best engine swap option if you’re looking for reliability, affordability and ease of install. Not to say at some point in the future a modern Toyota engine might be a better engine swap option but I don’t believe they currently have the support to compete with an LS in the affordability and aftermarket backing arena that makes it the king of engine swaps. With that said it is kind of boring and the only time you’ll ever pop your hood is to check the oil.

A running driving pig is always the best option so the engine is secondary in importance in a pig, as long as it starts and gets you where you’re going there’s really is no wrong answer.

What’s important to you in a dream engine? What kind of budget do you have? Do you plan to do the swap yourself and do you have the tools, shop and ability to do a sky’s the limit build?

I have a 4BT in one of my pigs and its really cool for all the same reasons riding an old Harley is cool and if that’s your thing then nothing else on your list will work but like an old Harley if you just need basic transportation it’s not your best option. Every time you park some dude is going walk over to you and start chatting you up and ask you to pop the hood, if you don’t like that kind of attention then a 4BT isn’t going to work for you.

I have an LS in my other pig an in my opinion today the LS is the best engine swap option if you’re looking for reliability, affordability and ease of install. Not to say at some point in the future a modern Toyota engine might be a better engine swap option but I don’t believe they currently have the support to compete with an LS in the affordability and aftermarket backing arena that makes it the king of engine swaps. With that said it is kind of boring and the only time you’ll ever pop your hood is to check the oil.

A running driving pig is always the best option so the engine is secondary in importance in a pig, as long as it starts and gets you where you’re going there’s really is no wrong answer.
I have plenty of space and tools. The 40x50 shop is a little messy but that is just a dumpster away from being clean. The thread was more to start a conversation with people on here then anything. Definitely agree gm is the best bang for the buck as far as swaps go that is the direction my uncle is pushing for but I am not usually one for the norm like you said super reliable but boring as hell. I like the 4bt and like most diesel swaps with the exception of maybe the 6.2/6.5 and Mercedes OM617 they can be spendy to buy. My budget is limited to 3ish I say ish because I know it will be a little more always is.

My budget is limited to 3ish I say ish because I know it will be a little more always is.
IMHO “Dream engine” and “3ish” are two completely different conversations.

For 3ish I would patch the 2F back together and drive the wheels off my pig.

Mr. Moody will be along shorty so before we get to far along we're going to need a few pictures of your pig.

IMHO “Dream engine” and “3ish” are two completely different conversations.

For 3ish I would patch the 2F back together and drive the wheels off my pig.

Mr. Moody will be along shorty so before we get to far along we're going to need a few pictures of your pig.
Unfortunately I sold the 2f off already so I wasn’t tempted in using it.

E0417145-7B69-4F1D-8D54-299498E9385A.jpeg

I'm not sure you can do too much in the "interesting" category for 3ish. Of course I'm no expert. My plan when the time comes, if the time ever comes, will be to get my 2F rebuilt at Mosley Motors; paging @FJ60Cam.

Do you know if he ran an auto or manual with his 2uz?

I am sure they would fit someone crammed a 6bt under the hood 😁😁😁

I think he has the 100 series auto staying with it, not sure. 70 series axles. It was profiled in 4WD Toyota Owners magazine a few years ago.

I'm not understanding the "boring" thing. I don't find any motor swap boring. They all have merit and to hear the sound of a V8 taking off makes everyone look up. I'd like to see someone put the 2.8 Cummins in a pig. They put them in 60's and 80's with no problems.

Hamburger Helper every Tuesday is boring
Reruns on tv are boring
cutting the grass is boring

Man, I'm getting grumpy like Bob! :)

Just keep in mind driving a pig is already very different. Having a repowered pig may not be all that rare but still gets a lot of attention. 3ish is an LS in my opinion unless you have connections.

I also like that I can get junkyard 5.3 for a few hundred and swap it in over a weekend if needed.

I'm not understanding the "boring" thing. I don't find any motor swap boring. They all have merit and to hear the sound of a V8 taking off makes everyone look up. I'd like to see someone put the 2.8 Cummins in a pig. They put them in 60's and 80's with no problems.

Reruns on tv are boring

Reruns on tv are boring

Maybe boring is the wrong word for an LS swap common is probably a better way to put it. Heck people are swapping them in everything these says. The 2.8 would be a nice engine to have.

Just keep in mind driving a pig is already very different. Having a repowered pig may not be all that rare but still gets a lot of attention. 3ish is an LS in my opinion unless you have connections.

I also like that I can get junkyard 5.3 for a few hundred and swap it in over a weekend if needed.
That is why the LS is on my short list easy and cheap.

Reruns on tv are boring

Don’t forget that grinding is really boring! Well, metal I mean!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom