Dreaded Charcoal Canister buzz (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I’m in the middle of the Alford desert and after I turned the LC off , noticed a faint fuel smell. Then on checking the engine, an intemittent buzzing sound. Did some digging and it looks like it comes from the charcoal cannister thingy. How much trouble am I in? Driving down to TX while towing a 14’ Jayco. Oh, also I’m not super mechanically inclines. :)

Trying to post a video with the sound. Edit. It won’t let me upload the video from my phone. But after wactching other videos on here, I’m 90% sure that’s what it is.

Thanks.

No CEL, no blood .... no problem

So I’m in the middle of the Alford desert and after I turned the LC off , noticed a faint fuel smell. Then on checking the engine, an intemittent buzzing sound. Did some digging and it looks like it comes from the charcoal cannister thingy. How much trouble am I in? Driving down to TX while towing a 14’ Jayco. Oh, also I’m not super mechanically inclines. :)

Trying to post a video with the sound. Edit. It won’t let me upload the video from my phone. But after wactching other videos on here, I’m 90% sure that’s what it is.

Thanks.

I suspect its your tank venting. If its hot and elevations are high, 100 series are known to build pressure in the tanks and sometimes boil the gas. People change the canister and create a heat shield for the fuel lines. If you're not seeing gas come out of the gas cap and down the side of your car nothing to worry about.

I suspect its your tank venting. If its hot and elevations are high, 100 series are known to build pressure in the tanks and sometimes boil the gas. People change the canister and create a heat shield for the fuel lines. If you're not seeing gas come out of the gas cap and down the side of your car nothing to worry about.
I think we climbed up to around 5000ft and then dipped back down. About 89 degrees out. There was no gas dripping from cap for sure. That's promising I guess!

Since you're towing you may be tempted to completely "top up" the gas tank to extend range between fuel stops. Avoid it. Don't sweat the hissing when you loosen the gas cap. If there are enough vapors to make you dizzy, then start to be concerned. With your tow weight just plan on stopping every 150 miles for fuel when on the highways.

@ramangain, thanks. So, plan on 150 miles, because my mpg is going to suffer that much more because of it or ....? Before today I was getting about 10mpg but today I didn't even calculate.
Thanks for the help!

I wasn't able to upload my video because I'm in the middle of the desert using an iphone hotspot but this video from a mud-member is identical to my sound. For what it's worth. Not sure if they ever got it resolved and posted.

I wasn't able to upload my video because I'm in the middle of the desert using an iphone hotspot but this video from a mud-member is identical to my sound. For what it's worth. Not sure if they ever got it resolved and posted.

I cant hear anything, but if its just venting its doing its job.

10mpg? Jesus. I'm jealous! I was assuming 7mpg.

You're getting great mileage!

I remember you picked up an OBD2 reader before this trip to watch your trans temps (smart). What are your engine temps running when it's doing this out of curiosity?

Did this noise show up after a lot of gravel road driving? I've had a rock kick up and get behind a heat shield before and the noise sounds a little like it, but also could be a ball valve vibrating (imagine a ball bearing in a confined metal space with lots of turbulence just bouncing around).

Do you have tools with you? If so, take a screw driver (or better option is something longer like a tent pole) and when the buzzing is happening, place it against areas and components. You may feel the vibration. If you have a long thing peice of metal you can actually cup your hand around the end and place your ear to it as you touch components. Like a stethoscope or a game of telephone with a cup and string, the vibration will be amplified and your ear will be able to pick up the sound easily.

If that works and you can pinpoint the culprit, post it here (pic if possible) and we can try to get the part ID'd and look at what might be the noise maker.

Last edited:
You're getting great mileage!

I remember you picked up an OBD2 reader before this trip to watch your trans temps (smart). What are your engine temps running when it's doing this out of curiosity?

Did this noise show up after a lot of gravel road driving? I've had a rock kick up and get behind a heat shield before and the noise sounds a little like it, but also could be a ball valve vibrating (imagine a ball bearing in a confined metal space with lots of turbulence just bouncing around).

Do you have tools with you? If so, take a screw driver (or better option is something longer like a tent pole) and when the buzzing is happening, place it against areas and components. You may feel the vibration. If you have a long thing peice of metal you can actually cup your hand around the end and place your ear to it as you touch components. Like a stethoscope or a game of telephone with a cup and string, the vibration will be amplified and your ear will be able to pick up the sound easily.

If that works and you can pinpoint the culprit, post it here (pic if possible) and we can try to get the part ID'd and look at what might be the noise maker.
Yes! Engine temps running right around 199-204. It just fluctuates between those two. Trans is usually around 150-170. I try to keep it around 158. That's with OD off and PWR button depressed. No light comes on when PWR is button is pushed so I'm not sure that's doing anything,

I do have a small tool kit of odds and ends....will try that!

As a matter of fact, had just finished about 30 miles of gravel when I noticed it! What happens if there's a pebble behind a heat shield? This noise is when the car is off...up to about 15 min later. I feel like it's coming right from that area around the charcoal canister. 90% sure and exactly like the video above. The intermittent buzzing sound. like a tiny alarm clock. I will try the screwdriver/metal stick trick on the next run. Hoping i'm not gonna end up stranded in Northern Nevada. No CEL lights have come on (yet). We're laying low today around camp.

Thanks for the ideas!

Sounds like a new thermostat and seal are in order for you, but not an emergency. I was running similar temps and a new oem tstat brought me back under 192 in all driving and idling conditions.

Had the same noise. Turned out to be the hose that goes from the cannister to the hardline that drops into the frame. End was cracked where it pushed on to the nipple. Cut about 1/2 off the end, stuck it back on and noise gone. Check all your hoses at the cannister maybe that’s it?

Not likely to be something that leaves you stranded. If it's a heat shield it's just an annoyance, if it's the charcoal canister purge valve fluttering it's just going to be annoying as well.

So far it seems a common theme is warm engine = more gas venting at charcoal canister. Getting the motor temps down 10-15 degrees with a cooling system refresh will help with that too.

But no reason why this would prevent you guys from getting home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom