Dreaded 04 MFD issues and current options. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So it appears I have the dreaded pin 60 issue and am looking for the best course of current options.

Background, I personally can replace parts as far as diag goes I'm out and not to mention I have neither the time nor place to work on this as my wife and baby drive in this truck daily.

I'm in the auto industry and purchased this truck from people I know very well, at the time the radio,nav,ac were intermittently working. I sent them the info on the pin 60 repair and it worked for a bit however has failed again. We tried to repair a second time to no avail.

My question is what is the current next best step? The nav delete really sounds like the best option but I really do not have the time to source parts do it and on top of that dont feel like doing all the work outside in the winter lol

I've looked at the boards from China but saw several people stating that it did not work for them or only did temporarily.

Sending it off would have been a great option however it appears many won't work on it after someone else which I completely understand.

Do I bite the bullet and replace with a refurbished unit? I'd hate to spend the money but this seems to be the safest least time consuming option.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I have a 2004 as well and had some issues with my MFD a few years ago. In my case, the AC was stuck in auto and none of the physical buttons worked. At first they replaced the head unit but that didn’t fix my issue. I ended up having a bad Gateway ECU. I’m not sure this helps you, but wanted to comment just in case.

Post 19 in this thread (link above) shows another guy who replaced his nav ECU and fixed his problem.

Could be worth looking into however the last repair remedied the radio for several months so I am leaning towards that. Mine has an issue with everything intermittently.

I will have then check the gateway ecu as well though

I'm having the same issue with my truck right now. After I did the pin 60 repair it worked flawlessly for like 3 months. Now the MFD lags in and out intermittently and every now and then I get the dreaded check A/C error. Did you end up solving it? I would love to get your insight.

I bet there's a Subaru buyer engineer here that would make a nice spreadsheet outlining the options.

i've heard good reviews about "Tanin Electronics"
they aren't cheap, but there are not a lot of other options .. .

I'm having the same issue with my truck right now. After I did the pin 60 repair it worked flawlessly for like 3 months. Now the MFD lags in and out intermittently and every now and then I get the dreaded check A/C error. Did you end up solving it? I would love to get your insight.

I've got it with a local to me shop that specializes in circuit board type stuff. I was quoted 750$ Which will be worth it to me vs replacing with another unit that may not have been updated. Depending on how it turns out & if they would like to to more ill see if I can pass the info here I reached out to the guy mentioned on the other forums who mainly worked on the prius but never heard back.

I will likely do the nav delete down the line one way or the other but hopefully this will last a couple of years

@Exchevyguy2012 How do you know its the Pin 60 problem? What symptoms are you getting? Have you tried pulling out the unit and wiggling the wires behind to see if it changes anything? I think that was best way to check if it was a Pin 60 problem vs something else down the line.

@Exchevyguy2012 How do you know its the Pin 60 problem? What symptoms are you getting? Have you tried pulling out the unit and wiggling the wires behind to see if it changes anything? I think that was best way to check if it was a Pin 60 problem vs something else down the line.
The issue occurred constantly everyday when I first purchased the truck, we performed the pin 60 and it did not act up once for over 3 months . Now its exhibiting the same symptoms again. The gentleman I have it with now actually got it back to me for a day everything worked great until it sat for a couple hours then the cd button would not work showing a message drive not find or something of the like. It worked fine with a key cycle then the next morning same issue with the ac this time. Im pretty confident its in the circuitry see the results weve had so far. Also if there is another issue Im pretty confident we have it with the right person at this point.

I had all the physical buttons stop working on my 04LC a few years ago and got the “check connection to the AC” message. It ended up being the Gateway ECU that fixed my issues. Good luck.

I had all the physical buttons stop working on my 04LC a few years ago and got the “check connection to the AC” message. It ended up being the Gateway ECU that fixed my issues. Good luck.
I think I saw you mention that on another forum, that's something I've thought about. It could certainly be both, obviously there's something wrong with the pin 60 in regards to thr circuitry being an 04 and having physically fixed it once and what he's done this time around but I've also wondered if it could possibly have 2 separate issues.

If I don't hear anything in a couple of days I'm going to mention this to them.

Thanks for the reply

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom