drawer/platform height for level sleeping surface with 2nd row folded down (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to build a quick half width sleeping platform for the rear area of my 80 so that it's level with the middle row seats being folded down. Down and dirty, going camping for one night this weekend and have some spare wood and don't feel like taking a tent. I'm wheeling without my kids so gonna drop the seats and sleep in the truck.

For a 1993, what's the platform height you've found worked for you?

Thanks!

Mine units are 9 1/2" tall. The problem is the back seat does not fold level. My unit is about 1" taller than the shortest point of the seat when folded. I find it very confy when I use a coleman single width air mattress. Check out my thread " Custom 80 rear storage"

You do very nice work. Your thread I've seen before actually. Looks like birch drawer sides with routed divider slots, sweet. How much does your whole system weigh?

height: thanks for the info, with lots of 3/4" wood on hand (1x6), seems like I could make 2 layers of that (one top layer for the platform and one layer under the 2x 'rim joists' of 2x8 (7.5" high) and be at about 9" total. so a little lower than 9.5" but I have 2 thermarests one not full length, so i'll put the short one down over the "not as tall box" and it should all work out.

thanks for the quick reply, this lets me know the wood I have can get close enough and if too low still I'll shim this 'box' with another layer of 1x6 as needed.

:)
Arica slaapauto.JPG

Make it high, so you'll have anough room left to store stuff!

firsttoy - very nice. that's what i'll do out of wood, fast cheap (I won't have an 80 per se in a few months so this is a temp fix)

nukegoat - i don't have a garage, so the extra space i'd gain from that I'd lose in sanity by hearing my wife complain about why my 2nd row is in the dining room :)

meth - nice, that's the ticket.

meth - "make it high" I'm thinking 7+" of clear height is enough for a few pelican cases i have back there now, socket sets, recovery gear, etc. This is a short term thing after all.

I came across scrowley's thread a few weeks back when I was researching drawers, I'll be building a proper set once I get my 'new' truck back from Redline. Being a soft-top I'll want something for secure storage accessible when the rear doors are unlocked...

meth - cool trip! (did you crush that dog @ 2:46 in your latest vid? :) ) those were some amazing views and killer roads. are you going all the way to tierra del fuego?

I just bought a Hardigg case and threw it back there. Then I put an REI self inflating air mattress on top. I stuff a blanket in the low spot above the rear seat. Works well.
Not my pic, but this is where I got the idea:

8601635656_4fb3f7a6db_c.jpg

Last edited:
I think mine is either 9.5 or 10". Ours is full length when both units are in. The 2nd row unit can be removed, but we've not needed the seats, so it's stayed in.

Consider how tall you are. If you're average height or taller - I'm 6'+ - if you go too much higher it becomes impossible to sit up comfortably as the roof gets too close. There's still lot of cubic feet of storage space under a 9.5" platform.

Here's a pic that gives you an idea of about what the space is like at my deck height.
vwpvAh.jpg

one thing to considet is that if you go too low then the wheel wells are higher than your platform. this cuts into your space some.

I used to have drawers back there. 9 inches tall was just right when the middle seats were folded. Threw in a cabela's full size foam mattress and done. The problem I ran across is even with the front seats pushed all the way up at 6ft even i had to sleep at an angle to be comfortable. My 6'2" son was even worse off. The drawers are gone on to a better home and a shorter owner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom