Builds DRANGED's GX470 build/ownership thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just got back from a 2370 mile, 2-week road trip. *woopwoop*

Moab to S OR to pick up kids then to Newport, OR then redwoods in NorCal, then Lassen Volcanic NP, then Great Basin NP.
I did not keep written records but mental averaging I was north of 16.5 MPG all told for this trip; but with the oversized tires my calculated avg MPG for the trip was around or over 17 MPG.

I reset the MPG calculator when mounting the 31.5s (265x70 17 LT BFGs) and it now reads 16.7 MPG avg; that's 4370 total on the BFGs, and with 3.4% difference, my calculated 4370 mile average is 17.268 mpg. Over half those new tire miles are on this road trip, but that's pretty good!

We had a roof box too.

here was our configuration.

Quick question from a new 120 owner, how did you get your roof box so low in the rails? All the roof bars I'm seeing end up being higher than the rails and then the box even higher. I love how low profile you have yours.

Quick question from a new 120 owner, how did you get your roof box so low in the rails? All the roof bars I'm seeing end up being higher than the rails and then the box even higher. I love how low profile you have yours.
@S4fetyTh1rd
That's the Rhino-rack masterfit roof box's design. I love it too! 👍
It has universal clamps that work on any crossbar. Mine is the 400liter and is 8 years old. In those pics it's just on the stock crossbars.

Here a re a couple videos ...

And their in-house install vid

You can see how it recesses for the crossbars to fit low profile.
IMG_20200121_113141.jpg

Last edited:
wow, finally reading thru your build. I have a similar 06 Sport and silver as well. Just recently acquired and your thread has helped me to go with temp spacer as the car has brand new suspension/air bag replaced by dealer. I love to hit up Moab soon as this lock-down removed.

Very cool, I need to do this as I am currently looking for a cargo box also. Where did you source the unistrut and hardware?
Any Hardware store.. i have ace and true value,but Lowe's, home depot too have the stuff....

You'll like this too....i bought the RR forged eyebolt anchor kit for the pioneer platform, so I'd have 4, and a template to re-create from. Turns out, the slots are perfect for unistrut cam nuts (as you've seen for the crossbar i made). So i recreated a forged eye bolt kit with 3/8" forged eyes ($5 or so?), And unistrut nuts (5 pack for $6ish,) and fender washers... 🤘👍

Rhino kit
IMG_20200426_134859.jpg

DIY bits
IMG_20200426_134944.jpg

The 14 ga is the lower profile channel (what i used) is 13/16", vs 1 5/5" for standard/common unistrut (or superstrut, same-same)
Big box sells in 10' sticks, 4', and even 2' i think.

They have galvinized stuff too, which would weather way better. . . .

Last edited:
Last edited:
Any Hardware store.. i have ace and true value,but Lowe's, home depot too have the stuff....

You'll like this too....i bought the RR forged eyebolt anchor kit for the pioneer platform, so I'd have 4, and a template to re-create from. Turns out, the slots are perfect for unistrut cam nuts (as you've seen for the crossbar i made). So i recreated a forged eye bolt kit with 3/8" forged eyes ($5 or so?), And unistrut nuts (5 pack for $6ish,) and fender washers... 🤘👍

Rhino kitView attachment 2300105

DIY bitsView attachment 2300103
Awesome stuff! 🤘🏼Very good idea. When I lived in Aurora, I stopped by the Rhino Rack warehouse and bought two of their eyebolts and use those quite often, very good idea on creating your own. I’m going to take a look at building what you did to take a roof box, I am currently shopping for one now. What you you think of the rail kits for the platform? There’s a couple of 4runners in town running the rails all the way around and it looks good. I’ve often thought about getting the front and half side rails

Awesome stuff! 🤘🏼Very good idea. When I lived in Aurora, I stopped by the Rhino Rack warehouse and bought two of their eyebolts and use those quite often, very good idea on creating your own. I’m going to take a look at building what you did to take a roof box, I am currently shopping for one now. What you you think of the rail kits for the platform? There’s a couple of 4runners in town running the rails all the way around and it looks good. I’ve often thought about getting the front and half side rails
When I was contemplating the pioneer platform, I was very interested in the elevated platform, the tradie platform with the rails on the sides. But after many a measurement, I think it was too tall to fit in my garage. I do like the rail kits for the front and sides, they're not as tall as the elevated's side rails, plus it makes for easy tie-downs versus eye bolts or hooking under the crossbars. Speaking of unistrut hardware, I used the regular unistrut cam nut and 3/8 bolts to fit the two cross bars that hold the tray together to the side rails. If you look underneath the way it's put together only the three cross rails that mount to your towers actually bolt the unistrut to the side rails of the platform. Added a couple more and tied the other two crossbars into the platform itself so all 5 c-channel bars fir to the platform perimeter. The 11/16 unistrut, being standard measurement, is a little bit shallow whereas the channel holding the platform together is metric, but channel width is standard and why unistrut nuts work. 👍 but their metric ones are a scosh deeper

callback from last summer's vacation in Fort Collins when I spotted a Google street view car.
1589349472550.png

1589349618873.png

1589349487139.png

1589349710684.png

HA! this angle. 🙃
1589350163563.png

roof rack like 2 mo old and sliders (finally prepped and installed) on 3 weeks at this point.

^ thanks!!!
I need to update the first page and link to more recent mods, trips (eek! i need to draft up that trip report from last Sept 😁 ... the LocoCoco), and whatnots.

Tell me more about this piece

17890286-316A-4D82-B9A1-0F1ED1606957.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom