Builds DRANGED's GX470 build/ownership thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RE: shoddy tire shop.
They just stuffed the spare in upside down and didn't really try to stow it correctly

Details... Turns out, they matter.
IMG_20190717_101141.jpg
IMG_20190717_101157.jpg

FWIW, with 265x70 series tires and using the articulation of KDSS, the brackets do contact and rub the tire a bit.

Here's the fixed RSB bracket without and with tire...

IMG_20190717_100644.jpg
IMG_20190717_100740.jpg
IMG_20190717_101126.jpg

And here's the articulating KDSS arm RSB bracket without and with tire.

(Caveat: these are 265x70 17 LR E with 30,000 miles)

IMG_20190717_100634.jpg
IMG_20190717_100747.jpg
IMG_20190717_101104.jpg
IMG_20190717_101115.jpg

These findings have me interested in investigating the GX460 RSB swap more.

I have 265/70s on my KDSS equipped GX as well. The spare is still the original size so I want to get a matching size. Eventually I want either the Becky or a Wilco Hitchgate, but I still want one in the stock spare location so I can carry 2 spares!

Then the next step is to upgrade the wheels on my GO trailer to matching GX ones and carry yet another spare on the GO roof rack.

The
Is it me or are more and more products AND services just getting lamer and lamer? I know planned obsolescence has wrecked durability and longevity let alone serviceability in products in the capitalist model.of.maximizinf profit amsld.mjnimizknf cost, but remember when you used to frequent a business because they did good work and we're reputed for said?

I'm mid-40s so middle.-aged, but just, and I'm finding myself more and more grumpy about these things. I moaned oreviously about an oil change service @.a Lexus dealership because, despite a couple decades of reinforced lameness of dealerships, I hoped/thought Lexus would be different. Anyhoo, I was disappointed.

My latest disappointment comes from a Les Schwab tire shop in southern Oregon. I've likeed/trusted and respected them for 18 years or.more and hopefully this one experience won't fully sour that entirely.
I was visiting my parents (and therefore was ill equipped to do a tire rotation myself) last month and was due for my 5-tire rotation. I was able to do my oil before the big trip but figured I'd have the shop do.tires.
Anyhoo.
I gave them a picture of my preferred 5-tire rotation pattern and asked that everything be aired to 35 psi, the spare too.

I didn't check the pressure for a couple days until.i'd started my 1,000 mile return trip (they aired everything to 40.or40+; lame) and I didn't check the spare because i trusted a tire shop to know how to mount a spare (they'd said "it's a little tight getting the spare back up there." I'd said, "yeah, especially when those tires were new!")
Turns out (1,500+ miles later) they botched stowing the spare! The damn thing could probanly fall out (a friend's 4R spare fell out on a trail in Moab, he never saw it again)!!

What the eff, people! Does anyone care about the quality of their work, or following up on employees in the service sector? It's a sad and real trend in reduced quality.

It's probably confounded by my middling age and preferences in doing things right....and my curse of orientation to details.

Okay, I'm done...
Here the shoddy work I noticed this afternoon.

View attachment 2032149View attachment 2032150View attachment 2032151
sorry to hear that happened. little s*** like that which could turn into big s*** is the worst.

Finally, FINALLY pulled the trigger, bought and installed sliders.

Metaltech group buy 2019

IMG_20190728_182004.jpg
IMG_20190728_181942.jpg
IMG_20190728_174624.jpg
IMG_20190729_200310.jpg
IMG_20190729_200341.jpg

I started a thread on steel skids available for KDSS GXs which led to good discussions and further research (and a spreadsheet 🤣 )

I just got wind of this skid, a new one to out in the mix/spreadsheet amd available in 3/16" steel (or Al) AND KDSS-compliant. 🤔

Victory 4x4: Front Skid Plate | 4Runner (03+) & GX (03+) - Victory 4x4

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with their skids. The install video looks like they install well and integrate with other V4x4 skids well.

Last edited:
I started a thread on steel skids available for KDSS GXs which led to good discussions and further research (and a spreadsheet 🤣 )

I just got wind of this skid, a new one to out in the mix/spreadsheet amd available in 3/16" steel (or Al) AND KDSS-compliant. 🤔

Victory 4x4: Front Skid Plate | 4Runner (03+) & GX (03+) - Victory 4x4

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with their skids. The install video looks like they install well and integrate with other V4x4 skids well.
Skids will be my next purchase. I wish that rocksteady made steel skids, I like their design the best so far.

Skids will be my next purchase. I wish that rocksteady made steel skids, I like their design the best so far.
Hmmm, I'm not familiar with those...are those the green ones?

@ADVFamilyHauler
Comment on them in here, 👍

Last edited:
went for a 2-hour tour .... a 2-hour tour.

Dubinky - Bartlett - Hidden Valley - Mashed Potatoes - Hidden valley Overlook - Blue Hills rd tour. (2/3 of 3D EJS route)
1565645944378.png

Back in April, 2019 during EJS, I did an impulse corner travel index test on the Metal Cloak CTI table. I aired down to 22 and forgot to lift the rear airbags to maximize score, so I ran @ 22 PSI in normal suspension mode. My score was 12 PF and 10 DR with cumulative CTI of 440. I had no idea what any of it meant and just wanted a baseline for my stock (plus front leveling spacer) GX. I REALLY wanted to have a fully stock articulation metric before doing the leveling puck and bump stop drop, but that just never happened.

After running the table I went home and Googled the CTI test and all the metal cloak info, comparing it to the more common RTI test. I think the CTI is an easier and more meaningful number vs. the older RTI, plus easier to replicate, perhaps. I also learned they try to standardize the CTI by having participants air down to 15 (I was @ 22), so next time I'll do it right: 15 PSI, lift rear airbags, AVS to soft and see if my score is any different.

1565763130794.png

It was fun for me and I'm sure the heepers were like, all " What The Lexus, -blahblahblah-. . . . . . "
😆:flipoff2:
1565763267504.png

Anyway, They gave me a calendar and data sheet, it was cool and the calendar has ALL SORTS of events and locations where they do the CTI table, so there might be an event near you where you can check your rig's articulation, controlled and safely!.

here were their display rigs. ;)
1565763329724.png
1565763354580.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom